Braided brake hoses, worth it?

While I was in getting some bits fitted at the weekend, my mechanicie boke commented that the rear flexis might fail or at best get an advisory.

As I've fitted slotted discs, and ceramic pads, if the hoses get changed, do you reckon it is worth going braided if the hoses need replacing?

Might as well do the front as well as rears while it is getting bled.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

The Ti has them, Nom fitted them along with the other brake upgrades. They are a lot better than standard. I've heard that they give a better pedal feel and the ones on mine have a lifetime guarantee.

If you're carrying out a programme of replacing worn stock stuff with upgrades then braided brake hoses are a natural choice IMHO.

Carrying out a programme? I've been a 9 to 5 desk monkey for too long already :S

Reply to
fishman

If you are changing them anyway I'd say do it the cost isn't that much more.

Reply to
Depresion

imho it is well worth it, I had them on the last motor and they gave a much better stop peddle response, it might be psychological but I thought they made a big difference. I had to post the stock items in to goodridge at the time to have some made but they weren't very expensive. Performance and feedback were much improved. I have to be honest and say the handling on this vrs is shocking in comparison to the primera but I didn't get it for street racing. Soon as the warranty is up it'll be getting sorted though.

Reply to
JohnR

So you've just believed the ads? ;-)

Most standard hoses last a very long time. I've never replaced one on my '84 SD1.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

D-Ts have them listed, but with a 10 day wait. I'm awaiting fensport to=20 get back to me with their availability, and how much shipped with OC=20 members discount.=20

D-Ts price is =A356.55+VAT shipped

Thats what I figured.=20

LOL: Yes you have, but it is a good enough description.=20

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

at =A320-30 more than Autofactor/Blueprint ones I reckon, probably less=20 than Toyota genuine ones.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

They do make a difference. The hose expands less, so more force is fed straight to the caliper, thats why I'm considering it.

The VRS can be made to boogy. I'm sure there must be a Bilstein off the shelf package, or failing that, is it KWA (something like) who produce lots of kit including coilovers for german and german derived cars, and some jap stuff.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

mine are on a 1990 Celica, and showing signs of going. The brakes are crap as standard, and only just "better" since the addition of slotted discs and ceramic pads, so anything that helps in the performance is good by me.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

No genuine upgrades available like using brakes off a heavier/faster car?

I've not known a maker to use just different pads on a performance version of the same model - they always increase the disc size and or more powerful callipers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its not really about age.

They dont give/expand as you put your foot on the brake. Cuts down on lost wasted pedal movement, Makes brake feel more pressure sensitive?

Work wonders on bikes, never tried on cars though.

Reply to
Burgerman

They don't come much heavier than a GT4.

I could get a full big disc conversion Hi-Spec, but at about =A31500 out=20 of budget. And I would need to swap to 17"'s straight away, instead of=20 when I find some I really fancy.

They are 277mm discs in 15" wheels. No much additional room inside for=20 the caliper.

They work OK, but feel a bit dead, but I'm gone from basic servo=20 assisted, to ABS as I've changed cars, and each jump up as felt slightly=20 deader.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

The brakes on my 5 Series are just fine with the 15" wheels. Is the GT4 that much heavier?

Of course for completion you'd upgrade them, but for road use I've never had problems and wouldn't describe them as crap?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Manufacturers weight of 1800kgs, Saab was 1300kgs. Bigger than those on the old Saab, but feel worse. Mind you, this has ABS.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

You won't stop any quicker with them but pedal feel is improved, to be honest that's all upgrades to the hydraulics side will do.

Reply to
Depresion

It's true though...

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

What the *f*ck* is that thing made from?

That is, quite frankly, stupidly overweight.

Reply to
SteveH

They don't bend easily.

Huge heavy 3 piece prop. Engine, gearbox, transfer box, real diff, massive box formed chassis rail type pressings in the floor pan, and seats that weight as much as a decent armchair. The rear speakers are even boxed, and boxed in metal, not pressed fibreboard.

Even the underbonnet sound deadening was 3/4" thick fibreglass fabric, topped with a fireproof fabric, weighs about 5 kilos on it's own. Mine was pretty charred, and I like to hear what an engine is doing, so that has already gone.

Rear lower supsension are box section steel, while the radius arms and semi trailing arms are heavy duty tubular.

Everything is overbuilt like on a rally car. They even fitted a front strut brace by default. I believe the block is iron and the head alloy too.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

do it might as well! i'm considering grooved discs and a pad upgrade on mine along with braided hoses. if you do track days (which i doubt) they help a lot i've heard.

plus they should outlast the car too IMO oh and it's a bit of under car bling for you're mechanic to see hehe.

Reply to
Vamp

But have you compared one with a new standard one?

It's just that if they improved brake feel then every sporting car maker would use them, as they'd buy them for pennies in bulk.

FWIW, when I do a fluid change - same basically as you'd do when fitting new flexibles, the pedal always feels different - at first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)