car pc's?

been looking at car pc's recently and i'd like to start one when i get the MR2 turbo and maybe do a boot mounted system with touch screen in the dash (flip out type as i'm to lazy to make a custom surround)

anyway i aint sure on the bits needed, how i'd cable it ect and how much i'd be looking at. also is there anyway of having a quick boot system? like one that's pretty much on and working straight away? like a non windows powered machine. anyone make a specific pc for car use?

thanks

Reply to
Vamp

In message , Vamp writes

Have a look at

and you'll find lots of info about tiny PCs including 12V car ones.

Reply to
Chris Morriss

cheers that's cool! system is just what i want and pretty cheap plus i can whack a screen in easily :)

will bookmark it and budget for it when my car arrives on UK shores around october time

Reply to
Vamp

In article , snipped-for-privacy@none.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

turbo and maybe do a

lazy to make a custom

be looking at. also is

working straight

If you can budget about a grand, you will get DVD, MP3, SatNAV, VCD/MPG/DIVx and be able to sort something for radio, if you pull the headunit out.

Have a look at

for advice. same with
for a UK based community offshoot. and
for a flat mounted screen, or
for a manual pull out screen. Don't even bother unless you are going for VGA, because you will spend a fortune on a motorised composite screen, and then want a VGA touchscreen about a week later.

have a look at

for the Opus Powersupplies (150Watt is plenty for an ITX carPC), ITX Mobos and cases, as well as
for boards, and cases and memory. But you really do want an Opus to do it right first time. I've got most of the bits to do most of mine, but I'm going to mould in a 7" TFT in a spare console next time, instead of buggering the one in the car like I did with my old 10.4", and I'm going to buy an Opus and a nice slim case to boot mount.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Alternately, how about an HP e-pc? The mobo is pretty small, it takes standard kit, has VGA USB etc on the back, and I've got one to sell :) Needs a 19v laptop power feed though, so maybe not that much use?

Was tempted to use it in my car, but really can't be arsed, it's too much hassle for me, and too out of place in a 30 year old motor really.

Reply to
Stuffed

In article , snipped-for-privacy@rse.non spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

The EPC could work with a laptop adaptor no probs.

But the beauty of an Opus PSU is that it was an ignition based shutdown controller, so switch off the engine and the PC will get an ATX shutdown signal and properly shutdown (you can also set a delay so you can leave it running if just heating to the shop etc) when you switch off.

Also the Opus has proper power cleaning and regulation for under and over voltage to provide clean voltage, so it will not restart the PC when the ignition is cranking, and not burn out the HDD or CPU components when the Alternator starts cranking out a nice solid 14v.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Can't see that that'd be too hard to make up yourself though - I'm not electronics whiz, but I'm sure a simple switch coupled to a timer would be easy done. Maybe one of those interior light delay things would sort the timer bit out?

Ahh, I can see that being a handy feature. Although once again, I'm sure a bit of thought would sort it on any old box :)

If only the e-pc was 12v, I might do something with it, although the price of even a cheap small tft is more than a new set of bearing shells and gaskets! But as it is, I really can't be bothered. The idea appeals if I had a car with programmable ignition though, so I could load new maps in at will, and not have to carry a laptop round to do so.

Reply to
Stuffed

In article , snipped-for-privacy@rse.non spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

People have thought that, but have ended up making either hulking great monsters, or tiny low power unit.

There is no shortage of standard DC-DC AT spec PSUs, and quite a few ATX ones, but the Opus is the only commercially availble off the shelf one that works in cars and made for that.

If you look on MP3car.com there is a guy in Singapore who can sell you a kit for a fairly low powered one, but you need to locate a few components yourself first.

the opus is the quickest and best with 90watt and 150watt solutions in full cased, Open framed, and single circuit board units. They were originally designed for US police cruisers, for their onboard PC systems for chcking and record crime data and traffic details.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

the MR2 turbo and maybe do a

to lazy to make a custom

i'd be looking at. also is

on and working straight

looked around and a grand would get the best set up, but i mean like a grand! i'd rather have a normal head unit and a grand's engine mods :)

Reply to
Vamp