Cars Bought And Sold in 2006 ?

Not in any current models, it isn't.

It is in a 75, and possibly in a 164, but was a bit of a waste of time in the 155 and 156. The less said about the 166, the better.

The only modern Alfa V6s worth having are the GTAs.

But they're not cheap.

The jury is out on the 159, 'cos it's the new Alfa / GM V6.

Reply to
SteveH

Because if I end up doing the Blackburn job, I want something with some go, and some economy, and that is going to mean diesel or LPG. And I don't fancy an old Audi 80 TD or an early A4. Won't be much different to what I have now. Just a different pump to fill from.

The Octie isn't shoddy at all. Very tidy condition. I think the wallowy ride is just a feature of the particular VAG animal. But as it is a rep model engine, I don't fancy splashing out of race car suspension to make it work like I like.

Reply to
Elder

Not a pikey budget. But a private budget. Do you remember when you everyday mileage racking car was supported by yourself, and not a lease agreement or expense budget?

Reply to
Elder

Seriously - Blackburn from where you are is just insane.

I really would be looking for alternatives - unless they'll pay a significant mileage allowance to get you there.

It's a tool for a long distance commute. OK, the economy could be better, but any gains will be offset against potential losses on it when you sell if you go for a diesel. It's not really worth putting 'fun to drive' near the top for a commuting hack.

Reply to
SteveH

I do, and that's why I never bought anything silly. Except the Marea, which taught me a lesson about running cars with mid-20s MPG as commuter hacks.

It was a pikey budget when I was doing it, too ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

You've sold me. I'll take it. Now how much as you going to give me to=20 swap it for Octavia.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Within Temptation-Deceiver of Fools

Reply to
Elder

low 30's normal. Mid to high 30's doing longer runs.

Doing the 50/national single lane/Motorway run to the hospital and back

200 mile round trip in November, was averaging 38.
Reply to
Elder

With figures like that, I think I'd keep it.

The last full tank through my Passat was 44.5mpg according to the known to be optimistic VAG computer.

If you can average mid-30s over a tank, it's not that far behind what a similarly sized diesel will turn in.

Reply to
SteveH

Looks nice, looks as good as the 156 did when it was new, but the 156 has aged badly and looks too tipo ish now

Engines? The diesels will be great, and to be fair the old Alfa V6 and the old GM V6 weren't bad motors, I believe all the top end of the alfa motors are unique to alfa.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

And so we end up back at saabs and volvos. You should try dervy's saab - it's not that bad really, could do with leather (the cloth isn't nice cloth).

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Rear ender wrote-off Marea Weekend Sold Fiat Uno Got given Civic VTi Got "rid of" Civic VTi

Setting myself up to acquire motorcycle license now.

Reply to
ts86

Blimey, that's almost as good as a B5 1.8T Passat SE.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Nah, we all know that's impossible.

Although the B6 TDI comes close :-P

Reply to
SteveH

Sold - Swift GTi, Manta GTE, Volvo 480 Turbo (or was that 2005, I'm not really sure), MR2

Acquired - Manta GTE, Volvo 480 Turbo (I think), 2 x BX 16 Valves, Nova TD

Miss the Manta for the coolness of it, and miss the Swift for the frugalness of it, but still remaining a hooligan's car. And the 480 I wished I kept myself. But love my BX (even if does piss me off sometimes), and the Nova is doing well at saving my missus money, despite being no-where near as good as the MR2 at virtually everything else.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

It's about 75% of what a similar sized diesel will turn in.

Still pretty good for a fair sized car like that though.

Reply to
jackhackettuk

That's some stinky bait you're using there.

Yup - the heads etc. are all tuned by Alfa to give them the Alfa sound and feel.

I want to try a 159 JTD 'cos one of those could *possibly* tempt me to take the cash late next year, IYSWIM.

Reply to
SteveH

In general, a diesel will be about 50% better than it's petrol brother (based on same car similar power output) with the same driver.

I can get 40mpg out of the merc, but 34-36 is the everyday reality. The toyota is much better, 38-41 everyday. And remember, I drive quite hard.

What's shocked me is the urban consumption of the E, 27mpg seems to be the best I'm getting so far, but it's still low miles (

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In news:x3dkh.1214$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net, Burgerman wittered on forthwith;

That's because you used an Essex instead of a Cologne.

Cologne is bolt in, Essex is a lot more awkward.

They're nice with a Rover lump.

Reply to
Pete M

I've driven the petrol V8 disco and a couple of petrol V8 range rovers. Both were WOEFULLY underpowered and no fun at all to drive. They weren't even amusing in a land barge kind of way. I'd be much more keen on getting a Turbo Diesel Landcruiser which are fun and more importantly reliable. Of course for fast fun 4x4 it is hard to go past what my wifey has, a Subaru Forrester GT. Same running gear as my rex and 90% of the fun.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Megane 225 went on 31st December...