converting my xr3i mk4 escort into a rs2000,

hi

i am trying to convert my xr3i mk4 escort into a rs2000, i have put th engine in and am ready to go, the only problem that im having now is th electrics on it. have you any ideas that could help me? any help woul be greatly appriciated.

thanks scot

-- v6inside

Reply to
v6inside

What a waste of time and effort.

It would have been cheaper to sell the XR3i and buy a proper RS2000.

It's not just the engine that differentiates an XR3i from an RS2000 anyway.

Reply to
SteveH

Which electrics are you having problems with, fuel, spark, stereo etc... ?

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

You'll need the entire loom from the donor RS2000, including the PATS coil for round the ignition coil. Not to mention the original key that's programmed into the ECU's PATS system. Infact, AFAIK were early Ford PATS systems not seperate from the main engine managment? (Tim... ?)

I've found in any engine transplants I've done, seperating the engine loom from the interior loom as much as possible aids diagnosis. Once you know all sensors are connected as they were in the donor vehicle, you can track down faults far easier.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

I have a feeling yes, certainly the early mondys and 'scort 5's had a separate PATS box.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

hi

its splicing the rs200 engin loom into my existing loom that im findin very difficult

thanks scot

-- v6inside

Reply to
v6inside

Go to your nearest Halfords and buy a good quantity of 3M connectors and a few rolls of insulation tape, and your problems should be over.

Ken

Rs200 or Rs2000? Different beasts again.

Reply to
Elder

Why? XR3i are becoming rarer.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

I doubt very very very much that he's got an RS200 engine for his Mk4 Scrote :-)

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

hi

sorry about that its an rs2000

thanks scot

-- v6inside

Reply to
v6inside

What part of the loom are you trying to splice? What functions are you trying to wire? Have you got the entire RS2000 loom?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

I've just thought about this.

The XR3i on a Mk 4 shape is the CVH engined lump of s**te.

The RS2000 is the lovely-ish Ford I4 twin-cam, isn't it?

In which case, the whole conversion is going to be a tad more difficult than it first appears.

Reply to
SteveH

Well no, not really, both engines run EEC-IV and E-DIS and both engines use exactly the same sensors (tho positioned differently) with the exception the I4 has a CPS and runs sequential injection, whereas the CVH Efi batch fires them all at once.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Isn't the I4 significantly bigger? - it's definitely a lot taller, which, ISTR, is the reason why the MkV RS2000 had bonnet bulges.

Also depends on how old the XR3i is - didn't '90-spec' models get a different injection system? - meaning a 90 spec would be an easier conversion.

Reply to
SteveH

Where there's a willy wanting to do it, there's a way. I've done a C25XE into a Corsa B (V6) - totally different mounts, totally different wiring, totally different shafts.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Well, technically it was just another cosworth turbo 4pot ford.

Reply to
Elder

Yeah, but if the OP could fit that into a Mk4 Escort in the correct configuration, I think the wiring would be the least of his worries ;-)

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

i have got the engine fitted i used rs turbo gearbox and shafts all o that was easy it the wiring that i am stuck on

thanks scot

-- v6inside

Reply to
v6inside

I saw tuned 2.2 from an Astra SRi into a Corsa C - that was quite a nice conversion.

Reply to
DanTXD