I take it all back...

We used to have

10 FOR N=65535 TO 0 STEP -1 20 POKE (N,0) 30 PRINT "COUNTDOWN! ",N 40 FOR X=1 to 1000 50 NEXT 60 NEXT

Then we'd kick them all off and see which ones crashed first*.

I think WHS staff used to love those days, and think fondly back to their happy memories of young, but technically aware, kids coming into the shop to "try out" the computers...

I wonder if anyone was violently slain?

(* incidentally, the Apple ][ like mine lasted longer than most, mainly because it was distinctly slower and it was the Speccy that raced to a fatal memory exception quickest of all, if I recall correctly.)

Reply to
Questions

oooo you little devil you :0)

Reply to
aussie bongo

*shock Dervy and SteveH in another agreement*

A1200, 200 Mb HDD, 68882 FPU, 10 Mb RAM, it rocks, man.

Reply to
DervMan

Does make me wonder what could have been - if you look at Mac development with the PPC chips - I have to say an Amiga OS machine based around a PPC G5 would be awesome.

Reply to
SteveH

Yup. Sadly it'll probably always be an "what if?" though.

When I bought my A1200, it kicked ass of the 486s that were kicking about. A mate of mine spent a bit more on a 486DX/33 with 8 Mb of RAM. He laughed at me for only having a 14 MHz '020 and (at the time) 4 Mb of memory.

Then I showed him Shadow Of The Beast 2.

Oh how he turned green. :)

Reply to
DervMan

I miss the megademo scene... was really strong on the Amiga.

'Spaceballs: Nine Fingers', anyone?

Reply to
JackH

Ooooh, now, where can I get this kind of stuff so I can play it on the Mac?

Reply to
SteveH

Red Sector.

Red Seeeecccttttooooooorrrrrrr.

:)

I'm sure I have a whole bunch of Amiga music files kicking about the hard drive somewhere. :)

Reply to
DervMan

'mods'

BTW, you're all gits... cos you've just made me look in the cupboard, to find I've got... ... about 30 Amiga Format cover CDs, and 10 CDs worth of Aminet gear, sitting there.

Reply to
JackH

WinAmp.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah, I recall Aminet. Oddly enough I got at it via a PC, but that's life.

I still have a brace of Migs here. With Various Things, if anyone has the little paper map for War in Middle Earth they can scan for me I'd be dead eager. :)

As it is, I'm stuck with Lemmings. Boy oh boy, does that play better on the Mig.

Reply to
Questions

Oh, happy days.

Hours spent in a portacabin 'terminal room' with a 6 pack whilst at Uni. Downloading stuff to my Unix account so I could grab it onto floppy when I got into the campus in the morning.

Thinking about it - my ADSL isn't even close to the download speeds I used to get back then.

Reply to
SteveH

Heh.

*sob*

I lost all this shit in an unplanned reinstall of this thing in one of its many incarnations...

:-D

Reply to
JackH