LPG

Dread to think what shit the 405 pumps out, especially on a cold start....

I would sooner walk that be forced onto public transport.

Indeed.

Reply to
Dan405

How far? 1 miles? 10 miles? 100 miles? How long a journey would it take to persuade you to get on a bus?

Reply to
Duncan McNiven

Good lord i don't wanna think about it :) I just wouldn't go anywhere :D

Reply to
Dan405

It's this dependence on the car that has to be broken.

:(

Now I've relied on a car for the last ten years. I'm a fan of driving, which should be reasonably obvious, heh.

However, my reliance and dependence on the car has been broken. :(

These days, I almost always walk to work. It's a three mile stroll each way, it takes about half an hour or so at a moderate pace. I can drive there in fifteen minutes if I leave early enough, i.e. before the school run. Unless I leave at four thirty or after six thirty, it's a half hour drive home.

If I go to London or Edinburgh from York, I'll take the train, thanks. Actually, if I need to go to most places, I'll take the train.

I've been dragged on to trains by my wife, but have to admit that they're not as bad as I was expecting. Not perfect, for sure and you do also get delays, yes. However, for the most part my biggest complaint is an uncomfortable seat on Virgin Voyager trains.

The Ka is now superflous. We're probably at the point whereby we have the Ka because of the Ka Klub and the website, rather than the other way around. Will we be selling the car? No. Will we become tree huggers? No. But York's awful traffic congestion and high parking charges has defeated me. For most trips of three miles or under, during the way, it's quicker and easier to walk into York than it is to drive.

Sure, not everybody has the luxury of this.

But the only way we can genuinely justify the car is if we lived off the beaten track in the middle of nowhere. This isn't going to happen - although I didn't initially like living so close to the city, the tangible benefits are considerable.

Reply to
DervMan

6mph is not a moderate walking pace.
Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Ah you see this is where i need a car :) My dodgy knee would never let me get away with a 6 mile walk each day!

Reply to
Dan405

In article , pete snipped-for-privacy@lethe.org.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Are but aren't LPG and CNG two different compresses alternative fuel gesses though?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Agreed.

British standard is 4MPH. A bobby on the beat is supposed to walk at 3 mph. (Both figures remembered from when I used to do time & motion studies).

When I used to go hill walking, we allowed 20 minutes per mile (plus 20 minutes per 1000 feet of climb).

So I would say 6mph is fairly racing along.

Reply to
Duncan McNiven

I think we discussed this a few months ago (or maybe it was on uk.transport).

3 mph is a typical walking pace.

4 mph is a distinctly brisk walk.

Also average speeds will be reduced by the need to cross major roads.

I regularly walk to a pub that is almost exactly a mile from my house, and involves crossing two major roads. I am, compared to others I know, a fairly brisk walker, but it usually takes around 18-20 minutes.

6 mph would be unachievable without adopting a "race-walking" style.

--

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." (WilliamPitt, 1783)

Reply to
PeterE

I might be tempted if public transport went where I want to go, when I want to go [1] - until that happens I'll stick with the car / bike.

[1] I'd love to hop on a bus to go to work, but they don't start running early enough. And even if they did, I'd have to get a bus into town then another bus to where I work.
Reply to
SteveH

But you, Lordy good sir, are the expert!

Reply to
Andy R

Lol

Reply to
Andy R

Good point. It would appear that they are, but I've always taken them as being fairly interchangeable.

CNG is 95% methane, LPG is mostly propane (with other similar gases).

Both are compressed, both are natural gases, which is why I've always freely exchanged CNG & LPG.

As to WTF methane is all happy sunshine and propane is the worst thing since sliced bread, I have no idea! Why one should have preferential treatment to the other, given they're both clean burning.

The table below gives the information for Petrol, LPG & CNG on a 3 way catalysed vehicle

Emissions, g/km Petrol LPG CNG

--------------------------------- Carbon monoxide 1.12 0.91 0.45 Hydrocarbon 0.15 0.12 0.36 Nitrogen oxides 0.15 0.21 0.13 Particulates 0.015 0.005 0.025

CNG has more particulates, more hydrocarbon=methane (which is actually a greenhouse gas _worse_ than CO2), half the carbon monoxide (which isn't an issue in the open), and 40% less NOX.

From another source, CNG is marginally less efficient than LPG. If diesel efficiency is "100", then LPG is 128 and CNG is 125.

This is hardly the new superclean fuel of the future.

However, on the whole, cars use LPG (cars=bad if you'd forgotten) but buses use CNG (buses=good).

Looks like it's just an excuse to brow beat the motorist to me!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

It's probably those little knee drops they're supposed to do with each step that slow them down.

I'm sure Kev will give us the correct term :-)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Proceding.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

I can only vouch for myself, you shorter types have issues, I suppose. :)

Reply to
DervMan

I have no idea whether your inside leg is shorter than mine; 6mph would be well into the top 1% of pedestrian speeds, which makes it not a moderate pace IMO.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

In article , pete snipped-for-privacy@lethe.org.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Becuase lets face it, they can't slap a duty on farting.

Lets just imagine that Heinz is now a taxable car fuel manufacturer for a second or two. Imagine of the local boozer and curry house could actually be an excuse to the missus (just going to fill the car up).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Mark W raved thus:

Anyone really think the government were going to do anything else?

Abo

Reply to
Abo

I suggest you take up race walking as a sport. In race kit & conditions trained athletes take about 20 minutes for 5km, a similar distance to that which you do in 30 minutes at a moderate pace, on normal streets, in normal pedestrian traffic, wearing normal working clothes, twice a day. Please let us know when you have your first Olympic medal.

Reply to
Duncan McNiven