LPG

Plus, doesn't LPG take 7% of your performance? That'd only leave you with

9.3bhp ;)
Reply to
Dan405

Heh. It depends, besides, we could have 600 PS rather than 60 PS and for most of the time it would make jot all difference.

Today, I've been riding about in a newer Duratec-powered Ka today wearing Toyo Proxies . . .

Reply to
DervMan

So it was only very slow and pretty understeery ;) ?

Reply to
Dan405

Thank you, Jesse.

Next... Ralph and Ted...

Reply to
JNugent

Slow? For sure, it's not mine.

Understeery? Nope.

Reply to
DervMan

But they haven't yet actually said what will happen to the price, apart from "it will get more expensive over 3 years".

What we really need to know is how much. I think we could live with a 10p hike, but not a 20p hike, but a 20p hike seems very unlikely because there are bigger issues at steak, the industry has already invested about £200million in fuelling stations etc.

Reply to
Oliver Keating

Heh :)

WHAT EVEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR

;)

Reply to
Dan405

I think we can see from the tuition fees bullshit that they will pretty much screw the general public for every penny they can get.

Labour pre election - "we won't introduce fees"

Labour introduced fees.

Labour now - "we want a country where only the rich can afford a good education, so we're gonna add top up fees".

Reply to
Dan405

240 miles on £30 worth of petrol at roughly 76p a litre. What do you get again Derv? 40mpg? Mental...
Reply to
Doki

They can't have, or there'd be a fuel duty on water! Or is there already?

Reply to
Mark W

Oh come on, make a note of the litres! Otherwise we'll all be saying, "oh I get about half that of the space shuttle" and it's just as reliable!

:)

Reply to
DervMan

Oh come on, they've left it open to bring the price up to usual British levels!

Stake, surely, otherwise it's a bad meat joke.

But seriously now, the money invested in fuel stations - two hundred million - is small beer compared to the increase in duty. Very small beer. Actually, it's small beer to the oil companies, too.

I'm sure that the necessary investment to get engines up to emissions standards has cost billions, but it's still ongoing.

They say:

"Following this extensive consultation, the Government has decided that the environmental benefits offered by liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) no longer justify the level of duty differential it currently receives, while the long period of high duty support has allowed the necessary infrastructure to be developed. The Government will gradually increase the duty rate for LPG over the next three years, setting duty differentials on a path towards a level commensurate with the fuel's environmental benefits. Consistent with the Government's commitment to give three-year certainty on duty differentials for alternative fuels, future differentials for the next three years will be announced in Budget 2004."

They mean:

"After observation, we've reached the conclusion that because a certain penetration of vehicles now run on LPG, and there are sufficient fuel stations equipped with LPG such that the consumer is trapped, we're now going to claim that it's actually only good for the environment if little is sold, so we're going to slap on increased duty. But we'll keep everybody guessing and leave it until next year."

This is tosh. Now that enough people have been suckered into LPG as the fuel for the future (which is never was, really, merely an interim measure) they're going to increase the taxes.

10p a litre on LPG is what, about 20%?!
Reply to
DervMan

differentials

To be honest, I think it is true that the environmental benefits of LPG are a little dubious.

But I would like to see a massive reduction in the duty on BioD which offers clear advantages. But of course, no expensive conversions are needed for BioD, and its not something the oil companies would embrace.

Most LPG vehicles I see are V8 4x4s, hardly something to be encouraged.

Yes, but at the end of the day, if it will be cheaper than running something on petrol then those of us who already have the kit will go on purchasing it, but it will always have to be less than 60ppl just to be on par with petrol given the difference in fuel consumption!

Reply to
Oliver Keating

Oliver Keating ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMPLEASE.ic.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Because it makes *SO* much sense to burn LPG off on oil rig flares and flog petrol instead...

In part because of the economics of conversion, in part because of ease of tank fitting. It's probably also slightly "cause-and-effect". See a V8 Disco (for eg), rather than a diseasel, and you automatically look for the gas filler - I know I do.

Reply to
Adrian

Eh? Cleaner burning, crickey it can allow engine oil to be used for significantly longer.

Actually, that's not quite true.

Hmmmm - so, too, should thirsty supercharged three door hatches when they're wasteful of resources, eh?

Reply to
DervMan

This is an interesting one, someone wrote into the FT complaining of a nistake, and that *no* LPG was flared off in the UK, and that the UK is actually a net exported of LPG.

It is interesting, I have heard people complain that they have spent £6,000 in 9 months fuelling a V8 4x4, there is no doubt that any cheap (but fossil) fuel is going to be bad for CO2 emmissions, simply as it is more economic for people to drive further/more fuel inneficient vehicles.

Reply to
Oliver Keating

There's a receipt somewhere, but I really can't be arsed that much. It's somewhere around 26mpg. I have thrashed it everywhere it's gone in those 240 miles though...

Reply to
Doki

differentials

just when i was considering a conversion

Reply to
raj

encouraged.

This argument is flawed.

Why buy a new vehicle? Why not get the bus, train, taxi, share a car, or walk to work?

It's our choice to run whatever vehicle we like, and pay whatever duty on the fuel!

Reply to
DervMan

"The government will gradually increase the duty rate for LPG over the next= =20 three years setting duty differentials on a path towards a level=20 commensurate with the fuel's environmental benefits."=20

Translation : (IMO) it'll be a bit cheaper than LPG.

The government did reiterate its commitment to natural gas and promised not= =20 to change duty levels covering this alternative fuel for at least another= =20 three years.=20

Soooo.. We're not touching the duty for 3 years. We're increasing the duty over the next 3 years.

Sentences next to each other which contradict each other.

Looking at the quick digest of the pre-budget report is quite depressing.= =20 They should rename it "How can we shaft you this time?"

The latest one I've heard, is that any money given to nurses is now to be= =20 made subject to employees NI and Income Tax.

"The Inland Revenue went back as many years as they were legally allowed an= d=20 raised a bill,". This'll probably be 5 to 7 years, and comes to =A3900.

Therefore _all_ the nurses who'd worked in the hospital over the last 5-7= =20 years had been given a total of =A33000 between them. That's 400-600 pounds= a=20 year, between all the nurses. We're talking something like =A31.40 a day,= =20 between the entire staff.

Makes me sick really.

Pete.

--=20 NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be bounced to you Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail

Reply to
Pete Smith