Missed opportunity for Ford??

read : Ford didn't have a decent diesel engine, and were totally incapable of making one. Ford stumped up a bunch of money to co-pay for development of Pug's new engine, and in return they get to use it.

As are all PSA dervs :) The 200bhp 2.7 V6 is reportedly excellent in the Jag :)

Reply to
Nom

Wasn't the best of the MKIV Golf GTis actually a GTTDi? ISTR that it was the best performing, smoothest torquiest (not including VR6/R32 varients, just the 4 pot GTi badged ones).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo
[Pug diseasels]

Where "excellent" means "a long way behind the competition". The Jag finished third to the BMW and Audi (again) in the last round of magazine reviews.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, it couldn't be. Diesels are for people who smell of wee wee.

Reply to
Steve Firth

hmmm - autocar rated it as more refined than the BMW and the MB, more economical too, if a little less powerful. Best all rounder.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That would be the same Autocar that had to print a retraction of its review of the first S-type and admit that the car was a dog? The same Autocar that published a driving review of a car that the journalist had been unable to drive?

Reply to
Steve Firth

E320 CDi 204 hp, 0-60 in 7.9 and 145mph, isnt shabby, plus with a chip I expect a lot of bhp n torque.

Reply to
Theo

sorry thats the estate figures, 151mph and 7.5 secs, thats brilliant for a heavy ass car like that.

Reply to
Theo

Pug's new one is a twin turbo 2.7 and is going into the new Jags :) Wonder how many owners will know that ;) "Hey Mr snooty Jag owner, your engine is French"

Reply to
Dan405

That would be the smell of wee wee from pssing themselves laughing at leaving all the petrol burners for dead, and still seeing over 50MPG on the fuel computer then?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Wasn't the latest Alpina a twin turbo diesel too?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Still, id prefer not to smell of wee! hehehe

Reply to
Max Hamlet

Nah it would be from the smell of wee wee sprayed on the hems of their sensible cardigans because they are so confused, poor dears.

Never had a diesel leave even my truck for dead, let alone my car. And the mpg comment just proves the point that they are for elderly cardigan wearers. BTW, you can have moderately fast (OK, slow) diesels or one can have economical (OK very, very slow) diesels, but one cannot have a diesel matching the performance of even quite a modest petrol car and returning 50mpg.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Cant believe i missed this thread! Having just done another road rally in a

205 diesel, i can say without a doubt that diesels are far far better than the equivelent petrol engine. Mines not quite quick enough to keep up with a GTi at the mo though, but as long as the insurance company dont moan too much, it'll be getting closer by the end of the summer... If you define sporty on how a car sounds, then you're no better than a max-power-Nova-driving-turd-burgler. If a TDi engine can produce enough power to make a car quick then why the hell not use it? As long as its bolted to a decent chassis and decent suspension (ie not a Golf :)) then it can be sporty.

Just remember about the extra weight in the front, as i seem to have worn out a set of pads in one night :( Definately need those vented discs!!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

that'll be the one..

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well my Audi doesn't quite come up to that, but it does have 140bhp, quite a bit of torque, does 0-60 in 9.9 seconds and a top speed of 130mph. And if you sit at 60mph it'll do 60mpg. A recent tankful of fuel, including about

70% at 3-figure motorway speeds, plus lots of quick back-road hooning, returned an average of 40mpg.

And that's an engine that's been around for nearly 13 years - well, the

115bhp version was first put in the late shape 100 in October 1991 - mine is basically an uprated version of that, but essentially the same lump.

It doesn't quite come up to the performance and economy of the latest diesel engines, but for a 13-year old design it ain't too shabby.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Even the Gold TD-GTI can't keep up with my lardy 180bhp volvo - so leaving for dead?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It wasn't the greatest, but a big improvement on the Endura-DE. One big design improvement was making the water pump driven by the aux drivebelt instead of the cambelt, enabling a much more reliable extended cambelt interval (though I would never trust any engine with the same belt on for

100k!). Anyway, I've rattled on enough about how reasonably good the Endura-DI is(!), so let's move this on.

I thought the 115bhp and 130bhp diesels in the new mondeos were both TDCis.

Ah, so the 1.8TDCi doesn't have as much French design (more imitation of French design) as the 1.4 and 2.0 engines then?

The 1,8TDCi is chain driven? Good stuff.

As in the old 1.6D engine in Mk2 Fiesta and Mk3 Escorts?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Audi have the fastest diesel I think, 0-60 6.7, max 155 limited 275bhp/3750

478lbft/1800

Tim S Kemp

275bhp/3750

Doesnt the big Toureg thing have similar performance?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs