Missed opportunity for Ford??

Aye indeed - but volvo is bigger and heavier than the golf, and has less torque...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I'll stick my reply on here too then :)

I was going to say something along those lines.

Heh, I've got a v8 from out of an SD1. Have I mentioned it barks..? It makes a nice sound. Did I mention the noise it makes yet?

TBH, that's not to say there can't be a nice sounding diesel engine, but it's not going to growl and bark because you can't rev it up. Still, that's definitely posing rather than driving. :)

I was thinking vented would be only a partial solution. The problem is airflow, the designers (fairly sensibly) decided this wasn't important and went for a slippery coef of drag rather than ducting air to the brakes.

If you want to stop the brakes getting hot, you need more airflow to the discs, e.g. duct it round from big gaps in the front spoiler and onto the discs so the airflow when you are moving brings the heat down.

AFAIK the brakes are designed around an ABS pump so you can't really put competition fluid and pads in - so the heat is fundamentally your enemy there. Changing the components won't carry away more heat, changing the airflow will.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Yes, the Alpina B10 BiTurbo.

Reply to
Michael Rodgers

Sorry, *D10* BiTurbo.

Reply to
Michael Rodgers

The BMW 330D is just a spec in the rearview mirror getting smaller and smaller, bye-bye BMW. And when it gets to twisty stuff the BMW is laughable compared to my car. That's a heavy old engine and the 330d is too nose heavy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

My truck can out-accelerate the Golf. Much to the irritation of Golf TDi drivers who appear to think they are driving an Über machine. My car can leave the BMW 330D for dead. 224bhp in the truck, 400 in the car.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I doubt it, It can't keep up with my truck.

Reply to
Steve Firth

performance

The Mondeo Zetec-S was available with a 2.5 V6 or the 2.0 TDCi donk..

But I know what you mean. That 1.6 TDCi so badly needs a smaller, lighter home than the Focus C-Max... :)

Reply to
DervMan

200hp??? heavy old engine??? LOL
Reply to
Theo

Saw a B10 3.5 petrol last week. Looked fantastic.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Heh, fair enough. What are they? I'm assuming small-block V8 for the truck (?), too many options for the car...

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Are you some sort of idiot ?

Your truck has 74bhp more than the Golf. Unless it's made of lead, it's clearly gonna be quicker.

Your car has 200bhp more than the BMW. Unless it's made of depleted uranium, it's clearly gonna be quicker.

Reply to
Nom

Er, no.

Clearly the BMW is *NOT* "a spec in the rearview mirror getting smaller and smaller" when compared to an equivalent Petrol car !

Quite obviously your 400bhp car is gonna be plenty faster !

I suggest you go and take some basic reading classes at your local college. You appear to be having trouble understanding my statement. Here, I'll type it again, just for you : "Unless your truck/car make loony power, I find it very hard to beleive you can keep up with the new BMW 330d !"

Something I've just noticed : Of all the stupidest posts I've ever read on usenet, a huge proportion are posted by you ! Congratulations !

Reply to
Nom

Yep.

It's the *rate* of torque that defines performance. Your Volvo makes less torque, but it makes it more often (cos it's at a higher rpm) - this is why you have 30bhp more. Unless you've got a stupid power curve, it's the bhp figure that defines performance.

Reply to
Nom

Your truck has an extra 45bhp.

In any case - I suspect the 180bhp A4 will quite easily be able to keep up with your much heavier truck. You clearly aren't aware that the number of

180bhp 2.5 V6 Diesel A4s on the road is TINY (almost all the V6s are the 150bhp model) - the chances of you encountering one with a decent driver, are miniscule.

Oh look - Steve Firth is speaking s**te again.

Reply to
Nom

It's never gonna happen :)

WRC cars are 2.0 engines, and they make about 300bhp ish.

I rekon it would be impossible to get 300bhp from a 2.0 Diesel lump.

Reply to
Nom

I am sure VW, or at least someone was rallying MK4 TDI golf's a few years ago. They were blue IIRC.

I'm not sure how successful they were or for how many seasons they rallied.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Is that the 1.6TDCi that's the same lump as the 110bhp 1.6HDI? (16v is it?).

I read a review of the Xsara Picasso with that engine, and they didn't rate it all that much - said it was really not that refined, and lacked punch compared to the 2.0HDI.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You never mentioned an "equivalent" petrol car. And what do you mean by "equivalent"? Do you really believe for example that the BMW330d is faster than say the M3? Same engine size of course the M3 is normally aspirated so you'll hav eto take the turbo off the 330 to make it "equivalent".

I think you'll find that you were misreading the headers, the really stupid ones have your nickname on them.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The car is an XJR, the truck is a Ford Explorer with a modded ECU.

Reply to
Steve Firth