nearly there!

I hate to tell you but if you aren't sweating a lot you aren't working out. Walking will help get the flab off in a calorie controlled diet but it won't really help you get much fitter. Jogging will but it bores me shitless. The key is finding something you enjoy doing that keeps you fit and doesn't bore the crap out of you. It might be football, basketball, canoeing, skiing, running marathons or martial-arts. Only you can find that out.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Starting again is harder but it is actually much easier to build muscle back if you have already had it.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I'm very skeptical about the benefits of fitness. In the past year or two, two friends of mine have lost their Dads very unexpectedly. Both kept fit regularly, eat sensibly and generally led a pretty healthy lifestyle - one always went out for his daily morning jog, and the other was often doing a fair bit of running and cycling, yet both died of a sudden and very unexpected heart problem, with virtually no warning whatsoever (one died in his sleep).

I haven't got the most healthy of diets, but I'll take my chances with carrying on as I am. I'm trying to eat a bit more healthy, mind - only yesterday I cut both a pizza and a Sainsbury's taste the difference garlic baguette in half, and had just half for dinner, saving half for the next day. I felt a lot less bloated after having eaten them too, so that's a good thing.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In news:a9%gf.1992$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net, AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Both Southerners I take it?

:-p

Reply to
Pete M

One was living around the corner from me, but Irish, and the other was from Wakefield.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I haven't ridden the bike for near 2 years, and properly for close to

  1. Even before I passed my test it was getting less and less use, and I was finding it less and less convenient to use.
Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I hear what you are saying Fraser. I would love the get the same buzz from riding my bike that I used to, even just taking off and road riding (sometimes very slowly) for a couple of hours would be great.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

It's all a bit sad really.

Fraser and I are saying the same thing : get out and do it - where it can be many different things. In your case I pick on biking, because you said you've done it before and enjoyed it.

When I was younger I didn't appreciate it, but I do now : just how good it feels doing stuff.

Bizarre thoughts : tandem :-) I wouldn't cycle with my wife without one...

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

LOL!

It's only a matter of time before someone makes a rude comment about that and lowers the tone. But I'll leave it to someone else.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I like that.

Reply to
DanTXD

yeah the Hella are cool but have a seperated indicator and are way exspensive! plus the angel eye bits on the hella are tiny too i read on some of the BMW forums.

Reply to
Vamp

I agree with Fraser but only a small remark on the jogging/running thing.

It 's boring like nothing else but it's about as cheap as you can get and even more important: it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to drain you completely, 30 minutes with the shower included.

Run (not walk) once a week a distance of about 5 km without stopping and within a month you feel better, not as out of shape etc.

Forget martial arts, cycling, running marathons: those are things to do when you have time, read when you are in the 15-30 age-bracket.

Only my 2 Euro-cents.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

You can look as fit as hell and still have arteries absolutely clogged up with fat. Diet plays a huge role in this. I knew a marathon runner who was fit as a fiddle but died when he picked up a really agressive dose of hepatitis from the water in Bali. Fitness won't stop you dying young. But it will improve the odds.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Just get out there then. The hardest bit is starting. I do martial arts at

7am twice a week. I'm not a morning person. Every time I drag myself out of bed and ask why the hell I am doing it. But by the time I've gone and finished I feel great. Always makes for a great day.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Fair call. Everyone is different. I'm 31 and train Brazilian Ju Jitsu 4 times a week. Monday and Wednesay mornings 7am to 8am. Tuesday night from

6pm to 8pm and Saturday mornings from 11am to 1pm. It is hard to fit in but if I shuffle a bit I can squeeze it in. I try to get to the gym once a week and normally walk down the beach with my wife, baby and dog a couple of times a week.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I left that bracket behind many moons ago. I'm closer to 40 than 30 these days.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Fraser, by 7AM I'm planning on getting into the car to get to work. I'm usually there by 8AM, because it beats the traffic. Means I get to leave by 4.30-5pm, instead of 5.30-6pm, but it still means on a normal day I don't get home until about 5.30 in the winter (brits can't drive in the dark). On a bad day it has been 8pm. All I want to do then is eat, veg out and sleep. Have done that almost solid for 5 years. I've finally managed to drag myself out to a local pub quiz twice a week, and walking most nights, just to actually get myself some kind of a life.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Then we are about the same age, I am 38 and cutting my hair short in order not to see the grey coming through.

Saves on shampoo and combing too :-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

So other than never having had an unhealthy diet to start with, how does one go about reducing the fat (I'm guessing you're really on about cholesterol) in the arteries? Obviously excercise of various forms can burn off body fat in different places, but what about clogged up arteries?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I'm a while off that age yet, but I know about the shampoo savings for cutting hair short. Last haircut I had was about a year ago - time before that was a couple of months short of 3 years before that. Both times I've had it cut I've had it literally all off. The plan's always been to grow it enough so that I've got the choice of more or less any style, but I never end up deciding, so it just gets long, then gets shaved off again. When it's all off I save a fortune on shampoo.

Reply to
AstraVanMan