Nova 2.0 litre 4x4.

So here I am with a donated Nova 1.2 and wondering what the hell to do with it when my eye catches my mates rotting non MOT'd but excellent mechanical condition Cavalier 2.0i 4x4 sat in his garage.

So, having nothing else to do whilst driving from York to Birmingham, 5 nights a week I've been wondering whether it'd be possible to transplant the 4WD system from the Cav into the Nova. Making the engine fit isn't an issue as it's not much more than a bolt in job. My mate was on about the injection wiring nightmare but I told him it'd have twin 40's.

He asked if I'd been drinking. When I said I hadn't he suggested I started.

Does anyone have any info on this? Has it been done? Is it even possible? Am I mad?

Websites or any useful info please.

Thanks.

Reply to
Conor

not really he could have it all raised up a la jacked up dodge ram stylee....

Reply to
Theo

Or raise the floorpan, keep the sills where they are (think that's what they did when they made the Dimma 306 to fit in the driveline).

Reply to
Doki

Doki waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Has been done, there used to be a shabby beige Nova scuttling round the Runcorn / Widnes area with Calibra Turbo running gear in. Real street sleeper, quiet exhaust, steel wheels, "Grandmother Spec" beige interior. Only real giveaways were it was slightly lower, and I think the wheels were off a Cav or Vectra. Black 15" steel jobs anyway. Didn't handle very well, but it had ridiculously good traction.

Pete M

Reply to
Pete M

Park it between a wall and your truck then move your truck a lot closer to the wall. I knew I would find a use for you and your truck some day.

Reply to
Depresion

You could also cut the back off and make it a Ram style pickup.

Reply to
Depresion

LOL

Reply to
Conor

Which 2.0 cav.

to be honest its not worth your while. Fit a turbo 16v engine, mappable ECu with launch and traction it'll be fast/scary enough.

Reply to
Mark Craft

before it pulls the body apart :)

Reply to
dojj

properly seam welded novas are very strong shells.

Reply to
Mark Craft

How about removing the boot floor and building in a narroved Jag IRS setup, and a either adding in a Viva front suspension subframe, or building your own using either Skoda or Saab double wisbones. Both give a nice responsive front end, with none of the juddery stifness of mac struts.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Ahh, we're getting into the standard custom car setup here. Trouble is that both the Viva front (or Chevette/MK1 Cav etc) and Jag IRS are getting very hard to find.

Reply to
Conor

oh yes, the rodders favourite.

Maybe look at something like a Manta? Maybe time to trawl the local scrappies and see what they have in that is easy to get to and remove.

As I said before, Saab and Skoda both had proper double wishbone front ends. So you would need to get the geometry right, but you could use them.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Really? I'd have thought old Jags to break for suspension would be ten a penny. Which Jag is the suspension from?

Reply to
Doki

Doki waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Easier just buying a decent car, instead trying to make a Nova into one. They were ok in 1993, but c'mon.. They were never the best cars in the world, and now they're lumped in with Saxos for being the biggest C**ts car of the last few years.

Pete M

Reply to
Pete M

It was just a thought. They're worth bugger all to sell on and it'd fill in some time.

Reply to
Conor

Just like climbing a Mountain, or swimming the channel.

Because it's there, and because you can.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Well... if it could be realistically done, I would have thought someone would have bothered by now, and I can't recall ever seeing a Nova 4x4 conversion... Mk2 Astra GTE, yes, Nova, no.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

but nobody does that anymore :) they just look at how fast they can get the pint to dry before they stack it on the next MacDonald's speedhump :)

Birmingham,

Reply to
dojj

Make it into a miniature monster truck!