O/T: Advice for webhost / domain name monger.

Hello.

Not knowing much about these things, but noticing that a few of you have your own web site, could you recommend a company to me (ones to use or avoid)?

As I understand it, you buy a domain name from one place, and then have to buy the hosting from somewhere else. Is this correct? Please feel free to mock me if not.

Any help given would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Reply to
conkersack

1337hosts.com used to be good... but I'm not sure anymore.

I have an account with 1and1.co.uk and haven't had any problems.

Have used fasthosts in the past, back then it was complicated and I have read some bad stuff about them in The Register recently.

Someone here gave me a personal bloke that does hosting reccomendation once, but I never tried him in the end.

Hope my URLs haven't wrapped.

Depends. Most hosts will sell you a domain and most domain people will sell you hosting these days IME.

Fuck's sake, don't you know anything?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I know nothing about this sort of thing, but I'm still using 1337hosts.com and it seems ok. I think I pay about £10 a year for my domain name and hosting, which gets me the Gallery program thingy which is about all I use it for (along with email).

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

They recently compromised many customer accounts and then chnaged the passwords on hosting spaces.

I did have space with fasthosts (via a friend), and we had reliability problems.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Reply to
Burgerman

OK, thanks for all your replies - been helpful as usual!

Reply to
conkersack