O/T God botherers

Just had my morning disturbed by a door-to-door god salesman, had a nice chat with him, pointed out the error of his ways and lectured him about the mistakes people make with evolution. It's the first time I've ever out-talked a mormon (I was very polite, btw) and I feel all proud of myself.

Anyone know why mormon replies start with 'The thing about...' most of the time? I had him start three consecutive sentences with 'The thing about grass...', 'The thing about houses...' and 'The thing about ants...' which amused me.

I don't quite know why I've posted this to a car mod group, but it seems fitting, in my world.

Reply to
conkersack

I woke up with the classic freshers week road cone in my en-suite this morning. No idea where that came from.

And now i have to go and enrol...

Reply to
DanTXD

erm, at a guess you got kebabed up, lost all senses and raided a traffic cone factory.

What uni are you at?

Reply to
conkersack

Summet like that aye ;-)

Lincoln.

Reply to
DanTXD

I find putting on a Irish accent and pretending I'm a staunch Catholic usually gets rid of them :-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike P from the North

I was raised a catholic, and told him this and then that I am now an athiest, and all he could say was 'why?' with a look of bemusement on his face.

Anyway, I feel good about taking him to town on his incorrect comments about evolution, and even better about being ever so polite about it all.

I'm thinking of looking up all the mormon/jovos/whatever and knocking on their front doors with a copy of a biology book in my hand and asking them if they've ever thought about a scientific education.

Reply to
conkersack

Mormons have extensive training and learn responses to common questions (or even responses to completely different questions) word for word.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Or wearing a Black Sabbath t-shirt and asking them if they've ever considered Satanism...

Reply to
Halmyre

you need to go to the JWs asking if they'd like to give blood...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I usually point out that the Chief Rabbi wouldn't approve......

DC

Reply to
David C

Oh yeah, forgot all about that one. I do have a genuine grievence with that. Hypocracy on a plate.

Reply to
conkersack

Why? It's not hypocritical if they refuse to both donate and receive blood.

There have been some good things coming out of their belief - techniques for reusing blood in ops rather than pumping new stuff in are now quite good. This is good for non-JWs too, as a) own blood is better than foreign, and b) it means there's more available. I'm not sure how mainstream this stuff is yet, but it's happening.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

[snip]

Well yeah, but I was more concerned with the 'love each other as your brother' type stuff against the 'f*ck off an die even though medical centres can help' mentality. And the fact that they could have done it to their own child. Chilling.

Reply to
conkersack

There was a show here called John Safran Vs God where John did exactly that. He went to Salt Lake City with a mate and knocked on doors and asked people if they would like to convert to Atheism. Awesome show.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

my mother is a doctor of theology or some crap, ive been trained from a very early age to ask those un answerable questions, always fun, but when ur standing on ur doorstep debating for 1 hour plus it can get a little incovenient

Reply to
Theo

What happened to them? Any altercations?

Reply to
conkersack