OT: Max ADSL

I've been meaning to ask you actually - a while back you mentioned that yuo'd tried loads of different Broadband ISPs, and found one to be far and away the best (not neccessarily on price, but not far off money-wise either) - was it Nildram perchance?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Just so people know,most ISPs are offering free regrades if your on a ADSL product to 8mb Broadband, I am in the middle of no where and have been regraded to MAX adsl with Nildram, so I have changed all my accounts I have with them to 8mb.

You might not be able to get 8mb, but at least you can try :)

Reply to
Ronny

Is this true for every account? We're a Pipex reseller, and loads of our customers are on Pipex/Nildram/Gokei whatever. They'd be pleased if I could get them on 8mb :)

Reply to
getbent

AFAIA, similar to a 2mb BB connection, it means up to 8mb. Distance from the exchange and line quality will still govern what you actually do get. So even if you live next door to the exchange, you still might not be able get 8mb. I live about 2k from the exchange, so I'm hoping for at least 5mb plus when my ISP get round to giving me the upgrade. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Mine do offer 8meg for less than I pay now, but with download limits. Wonder what I download a month?

Reply to
Doki

Some (i.e. plusnet) let you log in and see your stats - I guess a fair few might tell you if you ask them.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I like the response from my ISP, "this month you have downloaded: 90Gb, usage remaining: no limit."

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bloody NASA TV doesn't half need some bandwidth.

Reply to
Conor

Cool - cheers for that, will save a lot of searching around.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Nildram are the best ISP bar none, and you only have to goto adslguide to see for yourself....

Zen are good also but not as good as Nildram :)

Reply to
Ronny

Shame about their advertising: £13.99 a month for up to 8 meg. They don't mention the 250MB download limit at that price.

The decent one (8meg, 50GB fair usage policy) is £25.99 a month.

Reply to
Abo

Is that 2km straight-line distance? Don't get too excited. I live

1.32km away and I only get about 2.8mb on bulldog. The actual length of the wires is far longer than the straight line distance.

Use this to find out your straight line distance (enter postcode, click on check, then click on locality).

Reply to
Tom Robinson

I use Demon, £20 a month, no limit, going up to 8mb for free soon, it's been

100% reliable. And if you want customer support, I hear they're pretty good at that too, never needed to use them tho.
Reply to
DanTXD

True, but 25.99 is not alot to pay for 100% reliable broadband :)

And also Nildram are directly connected to one of the best gaming networks in the world (Jolt)

Reply to
Ronny

But they got the worst billing in the country, we still get invoices from them 2 years after we got shot of them, but they do provide a half decent service, fixed ip as well.

Reply to
Ronny

Click on what? Methinks you forgot a URL. If the underground phone lines more or less follow the road, it's still only about 2k. In any case I don't really need a faster connection. I don't play games online or d/load large binary files. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G