OT: PC is back in the land of the living.

Over the last few months, main PC has been running a little bit warm. It's only a non overclocked 1.3 Duron, with a Cooler master silent heatpipe. But it has been running at CPU temps in excess of 70C.

Last night, it started crapping out copying from one drive to another even though the temps were below 60. Thought the drive was dying, no biggy as it is only an old Seagate 8gig. Looking at the event log, it confirmed that Drive D was having trouble. No biggy thought I, Maplin have some 120Gig ATA drives at £70 a pop, not my first choice but they are open Sunday, cheaper than PC world, and right round the corner.

The it froze solid. Then when I rebooted, took 2 hours to reboot, Not Good. Then when it did, it said it had restored a backup registry as the old one was corrupt. Yikes. Then i checked in Computer management, all drives healthy, so I thought, OK, chkdisk and defrag.

Drive D did indeed need a disk check. But it rebooted defragging it after.

Then when I tried to power cycle it, nothing. Nada, no boot. PSU had died.

An Enermax 450 watt PSU, that has been doing almost 24/7 for 4 years (bar the reboots) has toasted it'self finally. The internal fans in it were still blowing when it last worked, and turned freely, so I guess, it must have been slowly overheating, and running hot, and cooking the CPU.

Stuck in the biggest thing that the local Maplin had (400watt Q-tec £39.99, "Oh yes sir, special offer on 450Watt Q-Tecs, £29.99, except we haven't got any, and the new ones in will be back to full price).

Now it is running much better. Temps are arround 45-55C, a drop of 15-20 degrees, at this is at the warmest point.

And the HDDs are workig again.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

ah good good, my AMD gets hot sometimes but i think that's cos it's under my desk and there's not much air flow, considering adding a top and side fan to help it out but i want it to staty quiet as i've got the PSU and CPU cooler from quietpc.com and they wasn't cheap!

Reply to
Vamp

When Nom gets here, hes gonna tell you what those Q-Tecs can do ;)

Reply to
Dan405

In article , snipped-for-privacy@danontherunspam.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Is that a good or bad thing?

I needed a PSU like today, and it is the middle of a bank holiday weekend. What else am I supposed to do?

I did have a 250watt of unknown parentage, but to run a CD writer, a DVD rom, a floppy, 3 HDDs and a full rack of PCI/AGP cards, I needed something minimum 400 watts to have some leeway.

Tell me this wasn't a bad idea.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Qtec PSU's have a reputation for being unreliable and the wattage ratings are very optimistic. I use a 550 watt one, which gives about 300 watts in real use, but it only cost £20. If you can, take it back as £40 for one is an absolute rip-off.

James

Reply to
James Grabowski

I've told when they die, they don't just die, that take mainboards, CPU's, drives, everything and anything with them...

Reply to
Dan405

Oh shit. Bugger, well I need it, becuase all they had was Q-tec, Q-tec, or Q-tec, or a Seventeam (not a bad brand) 250Watt, at more money.

Had a quick look in PC world, and they had nothing with a brand that i would trust either, and more expensive.

Bastard, bugger and s**te.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Just cos they have a bit of a rep, is no reason to say yours will die. It might give 20 years of faithful service...

Like an Alfa innit :)

Reply to
Dan405

Bugger, forgot it was a silly weekend. There goes me getting bits in the post tomorrow I suppose :(

I run an XP, 2 hard drives, AGP, USB and PCI bits, a CD drive and a DVD burner. All off a generic, loud as hell, crappo 300W PSU. I needed one in a bit of a hurry when my original reasonable 350 died, got what I could fairly quickly. Works fine, although I'd like a better one so it's not getting hit quite so close to full capacity when everything's running, and something quieter with a more powerful fan would be handy.

I've never had a PSU take out a mobo, but I've seen it happen. I don't think it was a bad idea as such, just one of those "did you really need it" moments. My PC's in the bedroom, running 24/7, and I think soon I am going to need a better PSU, with the weather getting warmer and the noise getting slightly louder now and then.

Reply to
Stuffed

In article , snipped-for-privacy@theworld.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I think the old enermax was really dieing, and I got lucky that it didn't take anything else out.

This morning the CPU was in the high 60's.

Last couple of days it was running in the high 60's to mid 70's.

Since the PSU swap, started up got to a fixed level and has stayed at 51 all day and this evening.

Thats 20c+ less than it has been running normally.

unbelievable. I thought it was just because the room had been warm.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

mine runs at 67-70 degrees daily

Reply to
Vamp

In article , snipped-for-privacy@none.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

What CPU though?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

S'abit warm!

I'm at 51 right now, it peaks at about 55 under gaming etc, and using the Prime 95 torture test it gets up around 60c. This is a 2100 overclocked to

2700, with a s**te old Thermaltake Volcano fan.
Reply to
Dan405

In article , snipped-for-privacy@danontherunspam.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

It's upto 52 now with the 1.3 Duron.

but that is using a Silent heatpipe with slow quite 60mm fan.

it's a quiet cooler rather than an overclockers cooler.

I'm planning on sticking on a fan adaptor and an 80mm Delta 9k fan. Should improve cooling just a touch, but will be a tad noisier.

Also i swapped one of the old beaten up case fans for a decent Thermaltake 80mm, and that is a little noisier and it seems to have helped, also re-routed the flat SCSI cable to allow better flow, because the rest of the cable are rounded.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Just overclockin and toasted my PSU :)

Replaced with 550w Q-Tec with silent fans :)

Reply to
Dan405

I was getting that sort of temp on my Duron 850, till I put a copper cored HS with an 80mm fan on. Came down 10 or 11 degrees then. My XP1900 with teh same fan idles at around 42 at the moment, system temp's about 35.

Even an average 80mm HS/ fan should be quiet - I know mine is almost silent, and it's only a bog standard Speeze. The temps are fine, and the fan is quiet, all for 13 quid locally, about 7 quid on Ebuyer I think. First time I've ever spent real money on a heatsink, but it was worth it when I was running the Duron at 7.5x133 :)

I've been trying to get my system temp down with various fans and such, but after reading up it seems the best first step is to snip out the punched hole grilles over the fans, which should make it quieter and flow more air. Not got round to it yet cause I can't be arsed to take the board out having just fitted it 2 weeks ago.

Reply to
Stuffed

In article , snipped-for-privacy@theworld.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

The Cooler is solid copper with Amonia filled heatpipes running through it. The fan is a standard 60mm, but running at low speeds to keep it silent.

Looking forward to getting a hood and 80mm Delta on it. I want cold.

Had some big name HSF's on the old BP6 when I was running it. May dig that out and build a server, or even a Beos box with my twin head Matrox card one day.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@danontherunspam.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Oh you hypocrit. Hard to find a decent PSU on a Bankholiday isn't it.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Sounds like a good heatsink then, but a 60mm fan running slowly is never going to be a good thing. Run it properly, or get that bloody 80mm on it! Flash as your heatsink might be, it ain't doing the job as well as my chunk of metal one! :)

Ah, BeOs. If only I could get drivers for either of my ADSL modems, I'd be using it now. Can't get on with Linux at all, but BeOs seems much nicer to configure and use.

Reply to
Stuffed

In article , snipped-for-privacy@theworld.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

It's a Coolermaster. The SilentHeatpipe model is designed to run quiet, and cool on a standard rig. Now I want cold, so I guess I got to add some noise,

Put together a second box, or buy and external router with a Beos compatable network card.

I've got 3 PC's plus the laptop networked, and another 8 spare ports on the switch, so I might just cobble something together when I upgrade my harddrives.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo