OT: PC is back in the land of the living.

AMD XP 1700+

Reply to
Vamp

In article , snipped-for-privacy@none.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Maybe a tad warm, but not over the top.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

It is when the choice is of 2 your brother has in his cupboard :) The Q-Tec is rigged with silent fans, and 550w, i need bigish watts for my GFX and stuff...

Reply to
Dan405

yeah i know but it's because of where it is under the desk. it's quite close to the wall so air takes longer to get rid of the warm air but sadly there's no other place for it.

Reply to
Vamp

snipped-for-privacy@theworld.com

close to the wall so air

Mine peaked at 70c when overclocked to 2700, with 333 bus. Got got 4766 3D marks with it like that earlier in 3d Mark 03, i reckon now i have just overclocked my GFX i can get 5000....

Reply to
Dan405

In article , snipped-for-privacy@none.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

to the wall so air

Mines under the desk too.

What sort of case fans do you have in it.

time for you have a search through some of the case modding sites I think.

And then get the dremel out.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Oh dear :)

The QTec's have a truly *magnificent* reputation - go do some Googling :)

Usually WHEN they die, they take most of your other components with them !

And at £40 for the 400w, you were ROYALLY screwed !

Take it back to Maplins ASAP. For almost the same money, you can replace it with a
If you REALLY want a ghetto-PSU, then you'd be better off with a
the Q-Tec.

Hope that helps !

Reply to
Nom

QuietPC's kit is quite frankly, rubbish. What's more, they apply loonatic pricing to everything.

For future reference Vamp, if you want a quiet PSU, you simply need any old dual-fan PSU (not a good idea on a single-fan PSU, as the low noise fans inherently move less air) - then spend a tenner on a pair of silent fans from

- takes about2 minutes to swap them over.Heatsink/Fan, look at something like a
for £20. Coupled with a silentfan again, you can have excellent cooling AND low-noise ! It's perfectly possible to build a silent PC, and spend zero extra money, if you take your time and choose carefully. My current setup consists of a 2500 Barton Mobile CPU (currently about £60 new), overclocked to ~3500 (2.35GHz). It sits at 54c under full load - I've got a Thermalright AX-7 heatsink (about £19 new) with a silent 80mm Panaflo fan on it (£6 from
pair of 120GB SATA drives are both Seagates (noted for their silence),and I spent £10 on a 4-channel fan controller, to run all 7 (!) case fans atminimal speed.

Reply to
Nom

I have - more than once !

Although I'm an I.T. Technician by trade, so I see lots of wierd things :)

Reply to
Nom

Decent PSUs (Enermax, Antec, etc.) are specifically designed NOT to take anything out. They tend to have both undervolt and overvolt protection too - unlike the cheaper brands.

Something was very wrong ! Are you sure the Enermax's fan was working ?!??!

Much better.

Reply to
Nom

ROFL !

My AMD XP 3500+ sits at 54c under full load, and I bet my PC is quieter than yours !

Avoid QuietPC in the future - their stuff IS quiet, but it offers very poor performance.

Reply to
Nom

You can have both ! See my other posts !

No need - 52c is fine. You shouldn't have stability problems until well over

60c

Be sure to have more fans blowing out than in. Usual practice is to have one case fan IN, and both the PSU and second case fan OUT.

Reply to
Nom

He's got my old QTec - which I replaced, cos I didn't dare keep it any longer !

It's had a pair of silent Panaflo fans slapped in it -

Nom

There's no need - you have nothing to gain by lowering your temps !

Reply to
Nom

Oh, he is even more of a hypocrit then.

Telling me not to, telling me you would tell me why not to, then using your old PSU, while you tell me not to. :)

Seems OK so far. Voltages slightly low, but within reason, definatley a lot cooler.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Current setup is, one 80mm (now a decent thermaltake, rather than plain cheap NMB that came in a $10 bundle of 10 assorted sizes from BGmicro.com (surplus and second hand shifter) blowing in, and at the back, the PSU fans blowing out, with a 60mm fan in the stock case exhaust location (crap small exhaust I know), then in the top half, an

80mm exhaust fan for the DVD and CD writer.

I do have a monster 120mm that is about 1.5" thick, is both loud and powerful. used that as an exhaust previously, but to avoid it sounding like concorde, you had to run it at 7v. Still ran fine, still cooled, but quite.

run it at full pressure and laid down, it could just about hover. That is sitting idle ATM, so I may see about making a blow hole for it.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Hehehhehe - it was free and convenient :D

At the time - i didn't need a new PSU :) Needs must and all!

The voltages in mine are all over the place....

Reply to
Dan405

Both fans in the Enermax were running properly (or at least by the time it had died they were still free to spin with some resistance/slowing, even though they were pretty caked with dust).

I reckon that the Enermax has done it's worth though, was a $90Can inport from Canada before they were commonly available in the UK, and the largest UK PSU you could find (except Enermax, constantly out of stock, at places like theoverclockingstore, at twice the price) was a

350watt. It ran for 5 years almost 24/7 in not exactley cleanroom conditions, apart from reboots and one house move.

If/when that Q-Tec starts failing, a decent branded supply will be going in. although the Q-Tec does list all kinds of filtering and protection all over the box.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

They don't start failing - they just pop.

As does the rest of your PC...

:)

Reply to
Nom

bah to much effort for me but noted for future upgrades :)

Reply to
Vamp