OT:(possibly) Insurance Scam

Thought the old school rule of thumb was soft springs, hard shocks? I imagine it was because the shocks will slow the nose diving or rear sagging, as well as any roll through short twisty stuff, so the springs could be softer to allow the tyres to stay near the tarmac more.

Could be wrong, could be that understanding's moved on a bit since then, I don't know :)

Reply to
Stuffed

If it was that bad, they could just use two types of pad, say the ceramic inside the wheel where there is less cooling. Or two sets, one of each.

Reply to
Questions

Evidently, that system didn't fail safe, that's not really a good reason not to have ABS, it is just a question of what sort not to buy.

This is much the same as buying a dodgy UPS. A UPS seems like a good investment, after all the power can fail and you want the server to run on a bit and shut down cleanly rather than just panic.

It's a little less easy to explain to your boss why a UPS failure took out the server when there was no mains problem. ;)

Yep.

Agreed.

Although, if it played up and started messing me about by stopping the brakes from working properly, I'd definitely reconsider.

Well you can test out your skill and improve on ABS if you practice braking. However, stopping hard on a dry road isn't really the place that ABS shines out as so handy. It's when there is gravel / dust on the road, wet or icy and hard to judge, etc, that ABS makes the whole game considerably less challenging with no real downside.

Now I've had cars with ABS, I will always want it, but I'd probably turn it off on a track day or the like, simply because when steering and braking at the same time, you don't want ABS (ass about face as that statement first appears, it's actually how you want to do it in practice).

Reply to
Questions

Oops, what an embarassing mistake - You mis-spelt "bunch of cowboy tossers".

Yes, they like acting on things that are said. Even if you aren't saying it directly to them.

Wonder if you're faith would be quite so strong if they'd followed your activities on the internet and used what you were saying to try and throw you off your insurance policy and then - when they failed - bumped up the renewal quote to over £1000 (from a previous blemish free years insurance of £400).

Yes, what a fine bunch of people.

Oops, what an embarrassing mistake, I mis-spelt "wankers".

Reply to
Lordy

? My head /did/ turn to mush...

LOL!

Naah, don't have a TV. Was just pissing around with the toys in a new e-class WRT the brakes. We're human/pre-programmed risk takers - all the fancy toys delay the onset of things going wrong, allow us to do more before they go wrong - so we just drive worse the better the car is, and it hurts more as and when it goes wrong...

Car-makers now want electric brakes - and no "ABS feel" to the pedal. With the uncommunitative chassis, composed ride, zero steering (and now braking) feedback and soundproofing so good you can't hear the tryes the first thing jo average will know about the limits of the car is when they run out, at 90mph next to that bridge pillar or set of large trees...

Reply to
marko

Oh right, I was thinking of my old car with drums all round, which had about as much stopping power as robin hood using a replica. Perhaps it was just that the car was ancient anyway.

Fair enough.

A bizarre situation, yeah.

Reply to
Questions

Have you had a bad experience with Adrian Flux? I've been with them for three years now and would recommend them to anyone with any sort of modification of performance car. Seriously, I'd like to hear why you don't like them.

Cheers,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

I have no idea what you mean, they know about the modifications. Care to be a little more precise?

Reply to
Johnny

I think that's more or less what I said ? reduced shock absorption is my cryptic way of saying harder shocks. As for softer springs I don't know to be perfectly honest as I've never fitted softer springs. I like the way the car is setup.

Reply to
Johnny

Oops, I didn't let that show did I :)

I believe I stated why in the previous post...

Sometimes you get exactly what you pay for.

Reply to
Lordy

I have no idea which bit wasn't clear.

They happened to associate my on-line name with my real name at their end and used information gained from my time spent on-line to try and profit lucratively by throwing me off my policy without refund of monies outstanding.

Without going into too much detail the debate basically centred around changing my car partway through the policy. I contacted the Ombudsman and they failed as they didn't have a leg to stand on, and because I had caused them grief they artificially inflated my premium from about £440 to almost £1100 to ensure that I did not renew with them. Needless to say I renewed with Direct Line for £395 instead (and found it to to be ten times better service incidentally, but that's by the by).

But yes, I'm sure they're a fine bunch of people really.

They have a habit of pissing people off by not sending out Insurance Certificates for months on end either as well.

Reply to
Lordy

Blimey

Yeah I agree there - I had to phone 3 times over 2 months to get them to send it. No complaints though I had a cover note.

Reply to
Johnny

Oh yeah, sorry somehow I missed an entire paragraph of your post! Well, I've had nothing but good service from them... but then, all I've ever done is get insured, renew it and change cars a couple of times. IMO, the whole car insurance business is completely screwed up - nothing would much surprise me!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Heh :)

Same here, full NC bonus, etc, model insurance citizen - never even claimed from them or anything which was the most annoying part.

It's the same with any company really tho, there are people who will recommend them profusely, and there are people who swear they are the worst thing ever. I'm just in the latter camp on this one.

Reply to
Lordy

It's caused mostly by their outdated paper based filing system. They might have updated by now to actually using computers, but I'm not holding my breath :)

Reply to
Lordy

Older setups are almost all three-channel at least (seperate fronts, and one rear) - today's systems are almost all four-channel.

Ah, that's ESP. Closely related, but not quite the same :)

Reply to
Nom

Yep :)

Reply to
Nom

That was a *quality* post !

One gold star for you, sir :)

Reply to
Nom

Er, what ?

Reply to
Nom

Wasn't me - I've been bailed out by my ABS in the past :)

Anyway, 99.9% of drivers on the road, are not good drivers.

Clearly it would be nice if the fool coming towards you at 60mph, with all four wheels locked, frantically hacking at the steering wheel, had ABS on his 1991 Vauxhall Astra :)

And on top of all that, even the very best drivers will sometimes get into trouble ! Schumacher crashed in the tunnel yesterday.

Agreed. But that's not always the case - even the best drivers will have the occasional hiccup !

That's a seperate issue :)

LOL !

Reply to
Nom