Planned mods...

The Astra is too small and the Vectra is well, a Vectra.

Reply to
SteveH

Astra 888 - noooo way

Alfa 159 2.4 JTd, or a Merc C320CDI, or an Alpina D3 if you want a quick diesel.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No, I'm saying that fleet providers don't like Peugeots 'cos they have relatively high breakdown rates and repair costs. Not to mention the shocking residuals. You'd swear they were Italian or something :-p

Neither are Ford or Vauxhall, both of which are on the list.

Reply to
SteveH

It's a tool for getting to work, and the figures for the 2.0 aren't exactly dire - yes I've tweaked the Golf and put 17s on it, but only because it wasn't exactly dear or difficult to do so - I could have it back to standard in 30 mins if that, and the wheels / chip aren't exactly depreciating bar wear on the tyres.

Back to the 206, I've noticed you can pick up the 2.0 models quite cheaply these days which was why I've started looking into maybe getting one

Reply to
jackhackettuk

I think you're talking pish. Again.

They're both more German than anything by PSA. Ford and GM both have, or at least have had considerable investment in Germany.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The chap I got my VFR off of said his last company car had been a

407... which he'd had from new and which had been plagued with electrical problems.

They don't seem to be selling as well as the 406 that went before it anyway, which is a shame - I prefer my 406 in a lot of ways to the Golf.

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Was just going to mention that Vx these days is just a badge engineering plan for Russelheim, or is it Trollhatten these days. Maybe it is somewhere in Japan, or at the Daewoo plant. I know they planned to make Saabs at Russelheim, so they must have shifted some Opel work somwhere else, after closing/reducing some of the UK VX production.

Reply to
Elder

- Getting a bit of bodywork done on the RX-7 before the rust takes hold

- I'm trying to avoid modding the CRX, which is obviously why I'm having a poke around hondacrx.co.uk for exhaust, wheels, mainfold, suspension and all that. Plus a CF sunroof to replace the shit one on the car

- Fortunately the RX-7 FD will come pre-modded, but that'll cost a bundle.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Hmmmm, this

seems made for the job :)

Reply to
Tony Bond

Got shedloads of work to do on the Volvo, that I've basically been putting off for about 6 months. This includes an almost entirely new braking system, uprated front suspension, strip down the 2.3 litre engine, check it looks ok, rebuild with all new gaskets and seals and shove in the 360 and hope the crappy engine management can deal with it. Then curse a lot and either figure whether I'm competant enough to install Megasquirt or find a cheap 740/940 to rob the updated ECU and loom from.

I've got all the brakes stuff, the suspension bits, a complete B230 engine and a B200 block (from a 360) sat in the garage, so I really should get my arse in gear and do some work!

Plus got work to do on the red BX to get it into shape, and I should do the cambelt on the Nova. Not to mention the cambelt on the black BX so I can sell it and get some money back!

I think I'm happy with all the mods I did this year though.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

The Golf will be maintained and that's it.

The Saab will have an intercooler fitted, followed by an APC and a modified ECU. Probably Maptun which will take it to 225bhp.

The Sylva is having it's 1300 xflow ripped out and a Kawasaki ZX10 engine fitted in it's place.

I am also going to remove the 14" wheels from the Sylva. I have some 15" Revolutions, but I won;t be using them. I'm going to flog them and buy back the alleycats which were on my last Sylva before it was wrecked about 10 years ago. Those were the only good and proper size for wheels on a small and light car to be. Yes folks welcome back to 13" wheels. Probably to be wrapped in some Michelin Slicks.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

So, are Honda Accords and Nissan Primeras 'British' cars, then?

ISTR, from my list, that the Mondeo is built in Belgium, as is the Vectra.

It is preferred that we choose German brands, but the list is ultimately decided by Leaseplan.

Reply to
SteveH

Yes. Are Ladas and Yugos Italian cars? Is the Hindustan Ambassador a British car?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Whoa. That's one hell of a tangent, given that those are companies operating independently of the manufacturer supplying the designs and tooling.

As I thought, you'd soon get bored when we started talking of facts and not your opinion.

Reply to
SteveH

Like your opinions have a basis in fact.

A German Ford is a German car, as is a German Opel.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Strangely enough, I've had my eye on them since they appeared.

I've also got the good fortune of living less than 20 miles away from one of the countries leading experts in using bike carbs on Pintos.

Reply to
Conor

Bollocks is it.

The money all goes back to the US as they're a German company.

In the same way that I work for a German, not British company.

Or do I work for a British company because we sell stuff over here?

Reply to
SteveH

Rude to let that one rot away - I quite liked it when I went in it.

Ooh... you'll be wanting to do a track day or two at some stage I hope?

All being well I should be doing one in March along with the mechanic I mentioned before with a CRX.

Speaking of which, I've had a chance to look at the paint job that's had recently.

It's all one colour, but I reckon it's not all that tbh.

However, given what it cost him, (=A350 plus the cost of the paint I believe, and with him having done all the welding, filling and general rubbing down), not too sad really.

*Another* RX7?

You're obviously earning too much money... ;-)

--=20 JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

And there's a 2L Pinto engine for £20 with no bids so might get that.

Reply to
Conor

Ah, there's an example of your facts, eh?

Reply to
Steve Firth