Re: jabba vRS mod

That's what i'm planning on spending, I want it doing properly but I reckon

> it'll need suspension/ride height mods at the same time. Fatter tyres as > well. I'm not unhappy with it now but you know the score. > >

You finding it a bit boring? what sorta bhp does yours have as standard? I think I might try jabba sport as they recken with just a chip it can see

220.

I find mine is a bit gutless once it gets to about 4k rpm

Reply to
ron

And horrible on-off power delivery.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Sort of, different. My last motor had hard bone shaker suspension so i'm still enjoying the change at the moment.

I haven't dyno'd it but I think it develops good acceleration once the turbo gets up to speed. Old car was probably pushing 200-220 on boost, that had nitrous and was lowered and had uprated suspension, brakes etc. The nitrous kick from that was severe. This isn't anything like as severe but it doesn't feel massively slower.

I'm not going to bother, I'd rather spend more money on stronger mechanical parts (and a remap) to do the job properly. I'm just a bit concerned about the effect 300+ will have on the stock internals.

hmmm, i'm not finding that with mine, well not exactly gutless anyway. If anything it seems to start picking up from 2.5k+ gentle kick from 3.5K through to about 5.5k then needing a gear up. It is fairly tame but only the manner in which the power is delivered. I'm hoping the gearbox will loosen up a little in the near future though, i've crunched third a couple of times trying to snap a quick gear change while accelerating hard. That makes me sound a bad driver but i'm not (well I would say that). I'm not really caning it yet though - it's still only done 1400 miles and i'm trying to stick to varied semi-sensible driving so haven't developed an understanding with it yet for hard driving. I'm still a bit wary of the handling in hard cornering but I keep pushing, last motor had a suspension setup I really liked and trusted, I got well used to it even when it let go. :D

Reply to
Johnny

Er, quite obviously you should wait.

Anything detectable (hence warranty voiding) is clearly to be avoided in the first three years. No matter what they tell you, the transmission isn't gonna last too long with 350bhp going through it - and it's gonna cost you VAST sums of money for a new box when it's not covered by the warranty !

Deliberately voiding your warranty is loonacy !

Depends what you expect from the engine. Clearly with 350bhp passing through the 180bhp-as-standard, 1.8 lump, you're gonna be lucky to reach the 100k mark. I imagine you'll be lucky to hit 50k without needing any work doing ! Engine apart, your gearbox/clutch/driveshafts/etc. are all gonna have a vastly reduced life expectancy.

Ontop of ALL the above, it's a FWD ! You can't even NEARLY put down 350bhp !

If big power is what you want, then part-ex it for a Scooby - WRX STi can be had for around 18K from your local car supermarket.

Reply to
Nom

Over what period of time ?

If you're only keeping the car for three years, at 10K a year, then it'll be fine.

If you're keeping it for five years, at 20K a year, then it almost certainly won't !

Reply to
Nom

Hmmm. Cost of the vRS, plus that four grand, is almost Scooby money - you get

270bhp-ish as standard, with 4x4, in a car that's designed to be quickish.
Reply to
Nom

I don't intend getting shut of it any time soon, unless skoda bring out an all wheel drive version, then I'll trade it in. The reason I like the car, and the reason I decided on it after getting the nod from meatball/sleeker is the cargo capacity amongst other things. That and the fact it's actually a half decent drive and a tidy vehicle imho. I estimate my annual mileage to be 10K give or take, unless circumstances change. I won't be caning it everywhere either so it will only get moderate abuse. I really enjoy spirited driving but i've tempered my race track mentality, it costs too much.

Reply to
Johnny

I know all that but I also get a car that's practical, the boot space is fantastic and gets well used. It's also comfortable and doesn't attract unwanted attention. In addition it's sort of anti-kewl being a skoda which appeals to me in a perverse sort of way. All wheel drive would be lovely but what the heck, I can live without it. It's not as though I've ever owned an all wheel drive car anyway so I don't know what i'm missing and i'm not a member of the baseball cap traffic light drag racing brigade anyway. Mate's got a new scoob - he just had prodrive fitted which has ended up costing him about 20 grand including the car and gives about 270. So i'm 7 grand up already. He's sick of cops pulling him up although he's managed to avoid the twoc squad so far. Octa's still got a lot going for it all things considered.

Reply to
Johnny

LOL, I know these things already, I think I just needed telling. Silk purse / sows ear comes to mind, I'll give myself a slap.

Reply to
Johnny

I tend to disagree with you there, and it depends a lot on driving style - if you're a motorway user you'll not increase the average load on the components much at all...

My mates RS4 (MTM+nitrous) is just turning 70k with no engine worries, and it's at about double its original power. It has eaten a clutch and lots of brakes and tyres but that's mostly due to abuse...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

And it's not a skoda. Scoobys can be hungry on transmission parts and stuff though

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

There's a bit of an image problem with the Impreza, and the build quality of the interior isn't as good as the skoda.

Reply to
Depresion

I'm not knocking the Octavia - I think they're great !

The point is, if you want big-power, then it's not really the car to do it in !

Reply to
Nom

That's all well and good, but clearly as a driver's car, the big-power Scooby is gonna be an order-of-magnitude better than the big-power Octavia :)

Reply to
Nom

Agreed.

But then if you're not really "using" your extra power, then why bother with it ?

!!!!

LOL :)

Reply to
Nom

All true, I know it isn't the best driver's car, I know all wheel drive is ideal. Then again i've got a car I like as opposed to one big power dictates. I think your points about big power, all perfectly valid, are really directed at aggresive driving styles though. It's not the reason i'm wanting the mods, I know big power isn't going to make it go round corners faster or squeal off the line any quicker, I just reckon on 300+ simply giving it a really nice mid/upper range extra urban performance boost. It's not as though i'm looking to go street racing in it or setting land speed records. It doesn't launch particularly well as standard anyway (does any front drive?), give it anything much above 3000 and the wheels just spin up so 300+ is going to make sod all positive difference there. Truth is i'm just a sucker for mods, anyway i've got 3 years to think about it :)

Reply to
Johnny

Yes, yeah it probably will be.

But peeps will be _expecting_ the Subaru to be quick.

They might not expect the Skoda to zip away in the 50 to 80 motorway dash. :)

Reply to
DervMan

Every time a car is cruising at less than maximum speed, or accelerating at less than maximum urge, it's not using the full power...

I know what you mean, but sometimes just having a bit of extra power is handy even if you only ever use it every few days or so. Heh, the number of times I'd just love another 100 PS or so in the Ka. :) But it's always when going in a straight line.

Sounds fund!

Reply to
DervMan

I'll rephrase that - picks up from 2.5k+ with a gentle kick to 3.5K then powers through to about 5.5k before needing a gear up.

Reply to
Johnny

Quaife do a LSD for it and I think Badger 5 came up with a good traction control unit for a Leon that could probably be adapted.

Reply to
Depresion