Re: jabba vRS mod

I've never driven a big power Octavia but I never found the big power Impreza much of a drivers car. Very quick, lots of grip but not much fun to drive.

Reply to
Depresion

Meanwhile, back in the real world, the Octavia is more likely to still be where you parked it.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Overtaking. Trucks on B roads mostly...

yes indeed. Not comfortable, not subtle, not smooth, bit laggy, but oh...my....god....

it is, an absolute laugh....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Agreed. That's one reason I bought an Astra Coupe Turbo 2.5 years back (now about 250bhp and great fun!)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Specs? Pics? Anything?

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Possibly sold, yey!1993 Renault 19 16v - Subtle extras like a T3 - But soon a fancy T28!1998 Audi A4 - For Sale

Reply to
Chet

It once nearly did 200mph on, erm, a private road ;)

Reply to
DanTXD

No pics (no point... it's an RS4, and he doesn't like to draw too much attention to it) looks very very standard.

Specs - from memory:

RS4 (2000 model), Kim Collins / MTM work including turbos, intercoolers and some internals work. Progressive Wizard of Nos kit (150 or 200 shot IIRC) with two bottles, usual TFT screens everywhere with DVD changer and nav, movit brake kit. Custom ECU.

On a private test track we got it to 180mph according to the road angel - had it off the clock. Still accelerating, not using nitrous....

Shame it's a small, harsh riding audi though.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That's cos Skoda forgot to fit a proper diff !

My FWD makes ~220bhp and ~280Nm, and copes just fine with it's TorSen diff (providing you take it's FWD-only abilities into account, heh).

Reply to
Nom

Yep, and it'll be cheaper to buy/run/insure too !

Reply to
Nom

How you getting on with that ?

I keep nearly buying one - they appear to be readily available at one year old with 10K on the clock, for about £10K these days.

Reply to
Nom

yes. 350bhp through running gear designed to handle how much?

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Haven't dyno'd it but stock figure is 180 or thereabouts.

Reply to
Johnny

Movit brake kit? Isn't that a bit of a crap name? Shouldn't it be called Stopit? :-)

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Quite like the look of those, but decided on the GSi instead as its not such a head turner. Very rare I see another GSi out and about - see the Astra Coupe all over (sorry). Not many people know what the GSi is, the Coupe would attract unwanted attention I think. Nice car though.

250 through the front wheels would be interesting. What have you had done to it to get that ?

Noticed any increase in problems with the wheels ? I get through tyres quite well. Last set of fronts were badly scraped along inside edges and kwikfit (not my choice - lease) tell me that it is because it is so low, with lots of power on fat tyres. I guess driving it @ high revs all the time prolly will not help. nm.

No way I am modding my GSi for a good while yet.. still 2.5 years on the lease, if it is still running at the end and is the right price, I may buy it and start playing.

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

it's the same running gear as a golf / s3 so I would guess about 250bhp?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I almost came close to nearly buying one - but the insurance quote scared me off...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Very happy with it, its 3 and a bit years old now (May 2001) and it's been very reliable. Just had a new set of pads all round at 36k, still using same discs. Would like to do a few bits more to it, stainless exhaust and slightly firmer suspension (maybe just lowering springs). Also want to replace the 1st cat with a straight through pipe as my exhaust manifold has gone twice this year! Reckon it's due to increased boost though so can't blame Vauxhall, especially as they did it free first time and ) had to pay

30% second time...

Tend to go through tyres every 8-12000 miles depending on driving. Just getting some Uniroyal rainsports to try on the front actually to replace Avon ZZ3s (which have been an excellent tyre)

Bugger, so mines worth sod all then! Mine was 8 months old, 7.5k and cost £14.5k, no leather...

Would highly recommend the car. Getting a few rattles now though, reckon I need to go round with a screwdriver and tighten the interior fastenings up... But I know someone with an Audi S3 who's was worse!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

At Gp 15 it's about the most reasonable I think I could get for the performance. It was £500/yr cheaper than a scooby (hate them now) and Civic Type R which I was considering at the time...

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hardly ever see any round here to be honest, or the GSIs for that matter.. Really like the GSI, particularly in blue or red.. looks well smart. The engine was only in one car when I got mine i.e. the coupe!

Not many people know what the

So far, touch wood, I've been OK. It looks like a normal astra at the front and that's the way I like it to be... "stealth"

phase 2 kit, (remap, larger intercooler, k&n panel filter, iridium spark plugs) fitted at
in sheffield. (Also see
The torque increase is the best bit though! It's now about 290-300 lbft @ 3000rpm. Also got a dbilas cast alloy air intake. Rev limiter now cuts in when the needle gets to the black part of the dial, goes to about 7500-7700, can't make out exactly. Will now do 40 in 1st, just over 70 in 2nd gear, 105 in 3rd. apparently...

I've got 18mpg on the clock at the moment (driving a bit giddy), it's less economical this time of year if you use the power because it boosts higher due to the denser air, hence uses more fuel.

Can still get 34-36mpg if I want on the motorway though..

It wheelspins more easily, in 3rd at the moment in the wet all the way from

3000-5000rpm! Mainly because I have about 2mm on the tyres though which i'm sorting! I go through a pair every 8-12000 on the front. It's a bit hard to tell what differnce to wear the upgrade has made, it will have increased wear but I think it is negligible unless you wheelspin everywhere..

The guy is right I think, the high performance tyres are softer compounds too so they grip well but wear quick. Need the grip so much though with this power, especially in the wet but I find that the traction control works well to keep you in a straight line..

That's unfortunate, it changes the power delivery completely (look at the torque graph off eds site) and tranforms the car. I'm sure it will still be running fine after that time.. I think VX have improved massively over the years By that time there will be loads of options open to you to tune it..

Would like a new Astra VXR when that comes out next year though.. very nice looking in my opinion..

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Really ?

They're only group 15 - DirectLine's quote of £450, is £50 *less* than they charge me for the TI !

Reply to
Nom