Re: What's a 206 GTi got under the bonnet?

oversize

2 litre 136bhp rings a bell, though obivously there's the 180bhp version, but I doubt it would have been that one.

-- "For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Just wondering as one couldn't keep up with my Golf. They done a > Diesel or something?

Couple of athsmatic hamsters, or similar. 2.0l petrol with 130bhp I think, IIRC it was made purely for homologation purposes, the stupidly oversize bumpers meant that peugeot could use the 206 chassis in the WRC, neatly sidesteppping the regulations designed to prevent small cars competing in WRC and causing group B type problems.

Reply to
Andrew Jewitt

They aren't quick in normal form but the 180s aren't bad.

Reply to
Depresion

Stupidly oversize bumpers were fitted to the 206 GT for homologation purposes.

Early GTIs have the same 2.0 ~130bhp engine/running gear but aren't as short/wide. There are a hell of a lot more GTIs than GTs kicking about on account of the GTI actually having been produced in significant numbers.

I read an article when they came out about how the 206 GTI was heavier and less powerful than the 205 GTi and was actually a bit of a disappointment.

Later ones have a 2.0 ~180bhp lump.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

There's also a 1.6 HDI 110bhp one. And if someone stuck the wheels on a XSi

1.6 16v, or Sport 1.4 16v, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference unless you were a Pug anorak.
Reply to
DanTXD

Sport 1.4 16v? Tee he he, bless!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

It also has 14s :) They're quite cheap though. Equivalent of the Corsa SXis and the like.

Reply to
DanTXD

Oi, I've got 14s on both my cars :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Bless :)

I got a 2.1 :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Thanks :)

I assume you're talking about Uni? If so, good work - the drinking man's degree (same as me) :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

The GTi badge gave the game away a bit. I'd have no idea that if it was a GTi or not without the badges.

Reply to
Doki

206 GTi - 138bhp 2.0 16v 206 GTi 180 - 180bhp 2.0 16v (badged GTi 180, twin pipes, 17s, rev counter that goes to 8,000rpm) 206 GTi HDi - 110bhp 1.6 HDI (not sure if they have a HDi badge)

In a straight line the normal GTi is faster than the figures suggest, I doubt it was trying if it couldn't keep up with a Mk2 GTI. Mine can just about, granted the GTi has the slight edge, but mines only the 1.6 XSi.

Reply to
DanTXD

All the best people do. Getting a 1st means that you are either very bright, or a socially retarded dullard, and since there aren't many bright people about the assumption tends to be that you are of the latter. Getting a 2:1 means that you judged the absolute minimum required amount of work properly :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone