Saab 9-5 Turbo Aero

Just because they've not all got scraggy dogs on pieces of hairy string with them, it doesn't mean they're not pikeys.

You appear to be mistaking chavs for pikeys.

HTH

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

You appear to think that I'm bothered about being unable to differentiate between different flavours of the unwashed.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's a gift that afflicts many I'm afraid... hence why I personally would prefer to not be seen driving about in something associated with pikeys, like the Ford Explorer for instance. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Nothing shouts "pikey" louder to me than someone in a Skoda. And if you mean "traveller" then the ones in Hampshire drive Minis, Mercedes and HiLuxes. Never seen an explorer parked by the side of the road yet.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Probably because the Explorer won't start... that, and they've probably recently realised what with the high price scrap is fetching they're better off weighing them in. :-P

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Oh well, I'm pleased enough with mine that I'll import another one soon, even though it's not possible to buy a diseasel version. If the VRs is still going at 170,000 miles I'll be very surprised.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Plenty of leggy other VAG TDI PD stuff out there with over 200k under them and still on the original engine etc., so no reason to suspect the Fabia vRS will be any different - if anything the engine is under less stress due to the lower weight it's having to drag round than other VAG stuff fitted with the 130 lump.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Since plastic french cars can manage 200k without problem, I don't see why a fabia should struggle.

Reply to
Clive George

The trim is a bit flimsy, so I reckon it would be creaking quite badly by those sort of miles, but mechanically they seem to be fairly robust.

The vRS has a tendency to do its head gasket at around 60k, from what I've read on some of the Skoda forums, but that's easy enough to get fixed.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

In a pigs eye. Most French crap is knackered at 60K.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Hmm. (looks at 220K and 150K BXs parked outside). Maybe I'm exceptionally nice to my cars then - though they did both have 130K+ when I got them...

When I say without problem, that's doesn't mean they've made it there without servicing and the odd broken bit (alternator, steering lock, speedo cable were the last three bits I changed). But the 150K one isn't ready for scrap yet, despite the opinion of the pikey who came round begging for metal last year.

Reply to
Clive George

I've had a Favorit, an Estelle and an Octavia. Why would I be so fussed as to care what anyone else thinks if I bought a Fabia.

The missus had one, it was unfortunatley one of those afflicted with the leaky coolant system that nobody could fix (a batch of them arround

1999-2001 with 1.4 8v engines). It wasn't the Skoda based engines, it was the coolant ancilliary VAG parts. Even on a couple of occasions dumping all it's coolant, she wasn't able to kill it in 4 years of semi neglect in her ownership.

I always liked the idea of the vRS version, just a shame that Skoda couldn't be convinced to put the 1.8t or a later varient in. Guess with it being bigger on the outside than a Polo and nearly as big on the inside as a Golf it would have been too much competition for the Golf GTi and the Cupra Leons and Ibizas which wouldn't have fitted VAGs battle plans for the group.

Reply to
Elder

What puzzled me is why you can get a Golf GTI with DSG but not the Octavia T-FSI vRS.

My local car supermarket is punting out new Octavia T-FSI vRSs for £16k in that lovely metallic blue with black and blue leather interior, but obviously no DSG option, or I'd be seriously thinking about that.

Reply to
SteveH

Every BX I've seen has the sunroof rotted out at 60K has also been burning oil.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Jings that shouldn't puzzle you. VW want to differentiate VW/Audi from the lesser brands.

BTW, I've heard rumours of (a lot of) DSG boxes disintegrating, is this true?

Reply to
Steve Firth

There are some rumours going around - which is why, I assume, you can't get the DSG box on the Leon Cupra, but can on the FR.

As for the differentiation, why do they offer it on the TDI vRS?

Reply to
SteveH

I thought that the BX GTi you once had had a good 100k+ miles on it by the time you got shot of it, and was, in your words (and I'm paraphrasing slightly), a bloody good car.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Because you won't buy an iPod in case people think you are trendy?

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

A mate who worked for years for various skoda dealers in parts was arround Claybank when the Octie 2 came in, and apparently, the Octies that were sold with DSG came back pretty quickly to get them replaced with new boxes, sometimes several times.

Reply to
Elder

Well someone had comprehensively disabled and siliconed up the sunroof on the 130k+ BX that you sold me.

I think it may have been to do with the sunroof drains blocking up, as the insides of the A Pillars looked like they'd seen some watery action.

Reply to
Douglas Payne