SPi to carb MINI conversion

Yeah, the chocolate is more like brown paint, and the biscuity bit always feels like it's gone soft. I still eat them, obviously, but am frustrated that they aren't better built.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

If you are talking about cars used on the road, then no one but a complete f*ck wit would run without an air cleaner!

As to filing down needles, this is likely to leave a pretty rough surface in comparsion to the original part, and will wear out the jet the needle runs in very very quickly!

Ken

None of the 6 Mini's you had were fitted with the little plate on the bellhousing which you remove to see timing marks on flywheel?

Its very easy to accurately put a TDC mark on the flywheel, and as long as you dont have an engine that fires ATDC you can easily work out the advance curve with a good timing light (mine does advance/retard, and rpm).

Ken

Needles don't run through jets "in the traditional sense".

Reply to
Elder

Ken can find the "retarded" setting on any piece of kit.

Reply to
dingbat

Well have you actually examined an air cleaner from an average british roadgoing car or bike Even with huge mileages there is seldom more than traces of dust soot and a few bugs. Nothing that would measurably hurt an engine. I stopped bothering with filters in out almost dust free and damp country years ago. Bit different if you live in spain or africa though. The amount of dust we have in the atmosphere in the UK is not worth bothering about. You feel free to use a filter if you want.

Well since you only file one edge and make the needle D shaped very slightly then none of the filed edge can ever contact the "jet" anyway so again you show your lack of understanding. I wont reply to any more of your posts because you are an obvious troll / moron and not worth the effort.

Reply to
Burgerman

No you cant. The engines ideal advance cyurve is 3d and varies with throttle position. You need to load it up on a dyno to be able to find the correct advance for say 1/4 throttle at 2000rpm

Reply to
Burgerman

Reply to
Burgerman

Ken hasn't done anything other than what the workshop manager at=20 Halfords would entrust him with.

LOL.

Heh-heh.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

WRONG.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

Firstly, it's got a high flow filter and a 2" exhaust on so it's not=20 standard is it Ken?

As you claim to have had experience performance tuning cars, you'll=20 already know it's so you can make sure you've not got a situation where=20 the engine is running too lean at WOT under load throughout the rev=20 range which can result in holed pistons/burned out valves.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

On a rolling road monitoring the exhaust emissions and ignition timing.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

As I said anyone who runs a road car without an air filter has to be a f*ck wit.................as to filing carb needles into a D shape, this qualifies the point!

Ken

The more of your posts I read, the more I get the feeling you have never touched an engine in your life!

The OP wanted to know how to sort a std Mini fitted with H1F carb rather than SPI..................

Finally perhaps you would be good enough to let everyone know how you would go about setting up a 3D advance curve, on the OPs car?

Ken

WRONG.

Reply to
Ken

On a rolling road monitoring the exhaust emissions and ignition timing.

Reply to
Ken

Unless you have 4000 different needles its the only way to get close. And Nobody does rolling road or otherwise. In the days before you arrived it was pretty normal and often done when wanting a bit more fuel in the midrange or top end on SU carbs. Its not as half as critical as you obviously think, and some carbs like lectrons for eg have d shaped needles anyway. Only the cross sectional area matters round or D shaped makes no real difference. A stroke with a fine file in the centre area gives a "fatter" fuel midrange for eg. Check it on the rollers with the gas analyser and if it needs some more give it another stroke in the same area. I have been doing this to SU carbs since 1976 and people were doing the same many years before me! Of course you find all this amazing because as a newcomer to engines and tuning (and life) you know bugger all about anything much it seems.

Reply to
Burgerman

Except he a) didnt day it was standard. He said it had different exhaust and air filter. Which you repeatedly dont seem to comprehend. b) you CAN alter the amount of vacuum advance, the amount of vacuum advance (and its the throttle plate position type so it effects the amount of advance depending on throttle position and load) As well as the amount of centrifugal advance due to rpm in two stages by playing with springs, bob weights, and amounts (stops) to best match the advance curve to throttle position AND engine RPMs. That isnt nessasarily perfect as is possible digitally but the fact that it takes rpm, as well as vacuum into account gives a 3d map of sorts. And it needs to be right.

Reply to
Burgerman

Which of course varies with the amount of total vacuum as well as the amount of vacuum the bournelli effect of the vavuum take off point has in relationship with throttle plate/barrel position. And therefore it changes with load as designed too...

Reply to
Burgerman

Have you ever used a file? Know anything about them? They're not all coarse, you know.

Also on some SU carbs the needle doesn't touch the jet. On others it's lightly sprung loaded to one side of it. And an SU needle doesn't have a smooth surface - you can see the machining marks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)