Spraying cars any gen

Well not so much for the spraying as such but this will be the first time i've went two tone on a car. just wondering if anyone can suggest the best way to get a nice crisp line between colours as i feel that masking alone wont be enough.

cheers

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Masking. Good enough for Chip Foose and Boyd Coddington on half million dollar cars.

Colour sanding will get rid of the ridge.

Reply to
Conor

Sounds bloody complicated Ed but i'll try it on some scrap panels first :)

kawasaki green and silver cav mmmm nice :)

Reply to
Rob

No, your right it wont, doing this is quite a challenge for even experienced sprayers. There is one trick however. Spray the main colour first, wait for it to set then place masking tape for the second colour, fold the masking tape back over itself and spray upto this line the fold over creates a way to blend in the two coats. I dont know if this will work but here goes..

. . . /spray upto the fold paint . /will creep into the fold and . /make a nice finish . ~~~~~~~~~~~~ # / . masking tape folder over ~ #/ . ~~~~~~~~~~~~ #### . ------------------------------------------------------------- . fist (main colour) second colour

Make any sense?

Ed

Reply to
Ed

It works, I resprayed my entire car eariler this year. I had to use this methods on a few bits where I messed up, but later sorted :)

Thats a bright green right? I have a wicked green in the garage, I'm trying to decide weather to do my next March ST in Green or blue.. Perhaps Ill post a link and let others input their ideas... (probably NOT a good idea) haha ;)

Reply to
Ed

Spray first colour - mask.

Spray a V. LIGHT laquer over the masking tape. It will creep but its clear. So light its still matt. And thin.

Spray your colour, and remove tape while wet.

Been doing model aircraft like this for years! Leaves totally clean perfect edge.

Then flat it with fine wet dry (soapy) and laquer the lot.

Reply to
Burgerman

He is right about the masking.

First make the hard Mask line to divide the colours. The using a second length of tape make a raised lip/mask (bit like a hood) slightly over the new to be painted area.

Taht way as you spray upto the tape, it will go right upto the mask, but won't be quite as thick, so not as noticable at the join. Will be a slight ridge, but colour sanding as Conor suggests will sort that.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Depends on the paint. What paint are you going to use? If its a Solid - You DONT need a laquer. If its a BASE you DO need a laquer and you cannot mix them both as you should not need to thin laquers to spray.

As a rule all metalics are BASE colours - they All need laquer - again you cannot mix the two and hope it will work. Colours can be either a solid or a base. Get a solid if you want to do less work.

In any case keep dust out and the more effort you put in for prep the less youll have to do to make it look good at the end.

I have seen some shoddy work beyond belief. Im no pro but I did my car myself for a reson - that is no pro would want to put in the work I would want for the price I would be willing to pay.. It was cheaper to buy all my own tools and DIY it :)

Ed

Reply to
Ed