totally OT as always but...

I *AM* looking for a new car, but the urgency's gone now the Rover somehow passed its' test. I'm planning to buy (budget 4-6K) during the next 3 months, but probably will look at a Jag/Daimler.

However, the £20 was OK for an hour's test drive.

I've now been offered the new C'eed for 3 days and a Toyota for 2 days as test drives so that's a week's transport sorted!

David

Reply to
David Lane

C'eed - the trouble with that test drive is you might win one for a year!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yes. Have you considered that maybe I can't tell you what exactly I do? :-/

Reply to
DervMan

'Engineering' covers a wide range of skills, not all of which require good maths. Even a good machinist can earn £20k plus, working flat hours, which seems a bit better than the annual salaries quoted in this thread for IT jobs. OTOH I imagine prototype design work, especially in civil engineering would require one to be very good at maths, and pay far in excess of £20k :-) I consider myself to be a skilled practical engineer. A toolmaker to be precise, though I also design and make special purpose machine tools. The only maths I know is what is required to do the job. Trigonometry and simple stress calculating seems to be enough, which is just as well because in general I am very poor at maths. Always have been. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

He's the 'office bitch' for some local authority ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Sounds like the episode of the Simpsons where they have stock certificates on bog rolls.

Reply to
SteveH

We'd never have guessed ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Hermes - "The shares were worthless, and he kept asking for toilet paper!"

Futurama :-)

Reply to
Iridium

I was often late for school, particularly in the 6th form. In the end they basically gave up and said that as long as I made it in for lessons then that was the main thing. Once day my first lesson for the day was at

11:55pm, and about 10 minutes before I was in the corridor signing in, and my physics teacher walked past and said "just in?". I replied "no, Peter".

Literally one other person laughed. I was quite chuffed.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Welcome to my world. I have 15,000 shares that were worth 90p each. I have a paper certificate, not an online account, or I could sell them=20 easily. Unfortunatley, between handing over the cheque to pay for them, and=20 recieving the certificate, they are now worth 12p a share. Still not bad=20 you might think if you need any cash you can get, except as they are=20 paper shares, by the time I have used a broker and paid their fees, I=20 would actually owe them money.

"For those with paper shares While you may like the idea of pieces of paper for your portfolio, when=20 it comes to selling them, the prices hurt. Abbey=3D3Fs Sharedealer Paper=20 Certificate Trader account, which allows trading of paper shares costs a=20 whopping =A322.50 per share online, and =A325 per share over the phone."

So I'm a bit buggered for selling them.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:the Garden of Delight-The Relation Of Light To=20Shadow

Reply to
Elder