Two wheels!

Gear outer used for brakes would provide better braking - until it split when you hauled on the brakes really hard.

It's a hybrid, right? Lots of these come with a 'power modulating' device, intended to stop numpties sending themselves flying over the bars. Which works by making the brakes crap, so you hit things instead. They should all be removed and destroyed. (checks specs - yup, the crossroads sport has one of these. That'll be the problem).

FWIW I agree disks would be overkill for this sort of bike/use.

Oh yes - Richard, if it's got them, ditch the shimano pads and fit something else if you want your rims to stay alive more than a couple of miles. Koolstop salmon are recommended, although I find aztecs ok.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Boggo halogen - I don't really do battery lights, as I CBA keeping them charged and I'd rather have something which is always there. SON though. Of course dynamo front lamps do have the advantage that they give a better beam pattern than almost all the battery lamps.

Fortunately the road in question is quite an easy descent - no junctions, no streetlamps, little traffic, fairly wide. I did keep the speed down when it was thick fog though..

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Aha! That explains why I can't cadence brake the bugger on the front, so I can stop alright, and lock the back wheel, but the front just won't let me get 'almost' locked/release and regulate the braking reliably.

I'm going to Google for that device; sure as hell my Innova didn't have something like that on it!

Me too, having looked into it - plus I'd need a new wheel. No disc mounts on the hubs.

The pads say "Powerforce" or something on them, I'm guessing Shimano supplied as the brakes are Shimano.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Will most likely either be attached to one end of the cable or integrated in the brake lever. More likely on the cable though. Post up a picture of your brakes and someone'll spot it.

Shimano ones say Shimano on them. You can tell they're crap because normal brake blocks are a sort of rubbery / soft plastic substance, whereas shimano ones seem to be made out of the hardest plastic known to man.

Reply to
Doki