What's about the same size as a Ka, quicker and has better seats, a rev counter and better handling?

A 106 GTi.
Or any 106 for that matter...
-- Dan

Ah you didn't mention insurance and buying costs in your original post.
A 106 XS or quiksilver, 1.4 75bhp SPi engine, nothing earth shakingly quick, but quicker than a Ka, handling spot on too, and the sports seat as well (special interior in the quiksilver). Or if you're feeling cheap, 106 1.1i's are quicker than Ka's and handle better.
Dare i say it, but Saxo VTR or, is the 1.4i the Furio? One of them...although personally i'd rather have a 106...
-- Dan

Agreed. You can't really go wrong with any 106/Saxo - they're excellent cars if you like miniature slow things :)

And there NCAP rateing. They are nippy but only because they are made of some form of metal thinner than tin foil.
snipped-for-privacy@blank.com says...

Actually it is anti-metal, has the inverse properties of evything the associate with Metal.
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com

If myself and Lordy cared about that, we wouldn't be driving Rover 600s.
I haven't crashed yet, and I don't plan to start anytime soon :)

quick,
The quiksilver insurance is about a grand, which isn't *too* bad. I'd have to find the 300 somewhere mind...

The Saxo is too much of a kev mobile TBH.

Quiksilvers unfortunately hold their value VERY well, maybe a better bet is the older 106 XS 1.4 (not to be confused with the 100bhp XSi 1.4 SPi). If you sell the Ka privately and get 2,700, you'll be able to pick up a good 106 xs, of around 1995 N plate vintage for 2k easy.
-- Dan

quick,
You'd have a bit of job trying to find an XS though that isn't 1.6. The 1.4 is an rare import, comes with the gt kit, the 1.6 doesn't.

1.4
No, thats not true.
There is no 1.6 xs AFAIK, the 1.4 is well common, a quick autotrader showed up 60 cars...
-- Dan

showed
You talking series 1 or 2? Series 2, there was two types of XS. 1.6 8v 90bhp in a standard 106 but with spoiler as standard, sold widely in the UK and 1.4 8v 75bhp will full GTi kit (basically a Quiksilver but in different colours) which wasn't on sale in this country, only on import. Not a series 1 fan though so don't know much about them, but there were XSi 1.4 and 1.6, no XS.
As for 60 cars off autotrader (national search I assume with XS as a keyword) the first two listings are 1.4 but the rest are mostly 1.6.

90bhp
series
1.6,
Sorry i was referring to series 1's, there is DEFINATELY a 1.4 XS 75bhp! Check parkers, i know someone who has one! I've driven it! Honest! In series 2 i don't think theres any XS's in this country, and i still don't think theres a 1.6 XS, the 1.6 rallye there is! They are great cars.
-- Dan

Right. Done research. There was a series 1 1.4 XS, and both a 1.4 and 1.6 XSi in series one. No series 1 1.6 XS. Also, i think the early 75bhp XS's were badged as XSi's, till the 100bhp one came out. All very confusing, all very Peugeot :)
Series 2, there was 1.6 Xs's but not availabke new anymore, there was also the XT 1.6, and the auto 1.6's, the XL and XR. The new range is only GTi's, quiksilvers and 1.1's. The XS and other 1.6/1.4 models from what i can see are fairly scarce, but not so scarce as you can't find one :) The 1.6 Rallye is fairly common, and makes 103bhp, which is pretty good, and unlike the 1.3 100bhp series 1 rallye, has some torque ;)
Also, another one worth looking for (although rare) is the Roland Garros special edition (leather (maybe only half leather), air con etc) thats a 1.4 75bhp.
-- Dan

don't
1.6
XS's
all
GTi's,
see
unlike
1.4
And if you wanna buy a brand new 106, better hurry up! its dealer stock only now, they aren't making any new 106s now for sale in this country.
My MR2

What's the insurance like?

Not on your nelly. Isn't the ride meant to be rather shocking for a Merc?

It's reported as such by people who don't know what they are talking about. But actually for a Merc it's rather a decent handling car as opposed to their more normal "jelly on a springboard" style of handling.
--
It was so cold that politicians were walking around with
their hands in their own pockets.

Merc?
Nope. Harsher, by quite a margin, similar to the Smart Car, actually.

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Hmm, but is harsh, bad? I mean Firm yes is good, soggy bad.
Boss at work has an AMG C36. That thing has no travel at the rear. Sit in the back, and you feel every rattle and bump. Hardly what you would call a luxury saloon drive, even for an AMG prepped version.