Why this group **Isn't** rubbish.

As of today, the total raised by members of this group and many others have raised over £2,000 for Candlelighters in memory of our departed friend Dan.

That's not so bad.

Now, let's talk cars - like Dan would have.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I'd call that pretty damn good.

Indeed. Oops, that means I better write something.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Not cars, but a modification or two. I bought a set of Carbon arrows (Cheapest decent ones) to do me until=20 the end of this season, had them made up to my draw length and weight. And I made a finger sling, because the one that comes with the kit was=20 too tight and restrictive (means you don't have the grip the bow tightly=20 but you still won't drop it), it cost me about 2 feet of inch wide=20 cotton tape.

The club I've joined had a rematch with the other local club because we=20 kicked their arses shooting an American round (2.5 dozen arrows each=20 distance at 60, 50, 40 yards) on the 4th of July weekend. Out of a maximum 810 points possible, I scored 601, I reckon the new=20 arrows helped. I have very little experience of 60 yards, only shot it=20 twice before today, and only once before with those arrows, on the day I=20 bought them. I'm mighty chuffed with that score as I'm shooting scores=20 higher than some of the much more qualified archers.

So, modding my archery kit, and some positive news. Sounds good to me.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

See if you can find an old rope factory or mill of some kind, perhaps the long buildings would mean you could get a 60yd long living room. Set up the practice boss at one end and shoot arra's till your heart's content.

Failing that, somewhere with a long garden and some french doors.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I spent yesterday afternoon trying to find a leak on my 106 which fills the drivers side footwell with water from a small drop which appears on the lower edge of the plastic panel under the steering wheel when it rains.

I'm not loosing coolant, and it doesn't taste funny.

I've checked the drain holes under the wiper trip panel and when I pour water in the fan it comes out a totally different place.

My current thinking is windscreen or door seals.

Might just sell it.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Agreed. I don't join in much, but I've learned stuff by lurking here, so you lot had better get back on with talking about cars. And I'm pleased the candlelighters total got so high - I couldn't afford to put that much into it, but it looks like sufficient numbers of people did their bit. Awesome.

Reply to
tomScotland

Oh I need to work beyond that.

70yards is next, then 70metres (Olympic distance) though I may struggle on the bow weight I'm currently shooting. Might hit the boss, but the accuracy would be hard to judge because the arrow has much longer in the air than a heavier bow shot, and things like win can affect the shot more.

My carbons, which are slightly slimmer than my old aluminiums are still half nearly twice the diameter of the composite ali/carbon arrows some of the more experienced guys and girls shoot because of the length of draw and the fairly high draw weight.

My bow is rated at 30lb @ 28" draw. I'm drawing about 30.5" now which means you add 2lb for every additional inch. So about 35lb at to that a

31" arrow (most people shoot between 28-30") and even lightweight arrows look like gas pipes. Some of the others who shoot heavier weight bows, but have shorter draw lengths have arrows like drinking straws in comparison.
Reply to
Elder

I set off to asda yesterday in the little car, 80-odd miles later I found myself at the coast. When I got back I noticed the gearbox mount needs strengthening, that's gonna be a pain in the arse, it's right in the centre of the car, underneath...

Missus wasn't impressed, she pointed out I'd said "Mind if I pop out in the car for an hour ?" :)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

That should have been "I'm popping out in the car for an hour". The "Mind if" was your first mistake ;).

Reply to
Doki

Are the drain holes blocked? Our old PSA van used to dump water on the floor whenever it blocked the drain pipes for the blower plenum, and it blocked them fairly regularly.

Heh. Lately, I have serviced my mum's Polo, (oil like road tar, air filter with a 2005 manufacture date!), changed the disks and pads and fixed the leaking doors. I suspect I will be addressing the small areas of rust on the wheel arches of her MX5 next, and the next job after that is to get my Golf MOTed, interiored and clocked up, as I need to flog the 406 to raise some cash.

Reply to
Doki

Nah - drill a drainhole in the floor, just where the drips land....

Reply to
Steve Walker

Where are these drain pipes of which you speak?

Was your PSA van related to a 106?

The water doesn't drip out of the offending place if I pour water directly into the blower from under the bonnet which is a bit of a scunner. I also haven't managed to make it drip from the same place if I chuck buckets of water at the car.

Have tweaked the door seal a bit today and will now need to wait for it to rain pretty heavily.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Take it to a jet wash and encourage things along!

Reply to
AstraVanMann

That's bloody brilliant

Well I'm now married, and have just returned from 2 weeks out in the Dominican Republic so I can now start Project Vitesse again. Wonder if any welding's been done whilst I was away. I think it may be reunion time on saturday after I'm over the jet lag and the shock of going back to work tomorrow. Can't wait.

T'other Carl, you would have loved the DR. Retro Jap crap everywhere you looked. I was expecting more American cars, but virtually everything is Japanese and because the country is so poor a lot of cars are 10+ years old and a lot of them are barely roadworthy. It was quite an experience being on their roads. I never drove out there expect for a slightly scary experience travelling up a main road in a little 2 seater off-road buggy (rage buggy type thing), but going through the towns/cities in the taxis / coaches was mental, there's literally no rules you can just do what you want.

Oh and I went on an 8WD monster truck which was awesome :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

That's one for PeteM. And congrats on the wedding.

Reply to
Elder