xr4x4

i have fitted a sierra xr4x4 in to a buggy and have stripped the wirring loom from the donor car. I have then followed the haynes maual and stripped the wiring loom into three parts as follows. Ingnition and injection system loom 1, The abs system loom 2, the rest is unwanted.

the problem i have is that i can not get a spark at all i have traced every wire but still no good.

can anyone help me with this problem

thank you Bob

Reply to
bob

First thing to check is whether or not all the component parts are properly earthed. Second that there is feed to the ECU and ignition system, when you switch on ignition.

Other than that was the original unit running properly with no problems? If not then the problem may be due to component failure.

Ken

Thank you ken

I have checked all earths and have tested all component earth wires where loom wires are part of a soldered jiont i have earthed this jiont as well to the chassis. There is a good feed to the ecu.

The unit ran well before stripp> >i have fitted a sierra xr4x4 in to a buggy and have stripped the

Reply to
bob

Yes you can check ECU, but if the car was running well previously thats very unlikely to be the problem, unless you have good reason to expect the ECU has been damaged in some way or another.

Was the original vehicle fitted with a relay/switch of some sort that cut ignition/fuel in the event of an accident? If so this may be the cause of the problem.

If you have ECU feed, wonder if you have checked fuel pump relay is getting feed when the motor is cranking, and if there is a problem here then it may mean you are not getting feed to ignition..............

Reply to
Ken

I am not sure what type of injection fitted to XR4, but not having any fuel pressure may well be the reason you are not getting a spark. If you are able to trace the wires it may be possible to bridge across pins on the relay in question, and get a spark even though you have no fuel pressure.

Personally though I would sort the fuel system first then try again for spark.

Reply to
Ken

Thank you for your help I will sort out tank as you suggest and try then.

I have been working from the wiring diagram of a two wheel drive unit which seems to be the same, all wiring matches so i can see no way that it could be different.

Thank you again for your time and advise

Bob

Ken wrote:

Reply to
bob

This is the kind of sensible helpful thread we like here, thank you Ken. But, would it be better sort out a spark system first if possible, than to try to get a spark going when there may be non-evaporated, unburnt excessive fuel being pumped arround?

Reply to
Elder

I'm only getting the replies, but it just looks like Ken is both posters to me.

Reply to
DanTXD

You are to trolling what bliar is to telling the truth.............you are not much good at it!

Ps: glad to see you are back on your PC is he/she a good f*ck?

Reply to
Ken

have fitted tank and built up preasure with no sucess will replace coil tomorow see if it could be that have checked all relays all ok.

thank you Bob

Ken wrote:

Reply to
bob

Before changing coil make sure you have feed to switch side of coil, and to ignition amplifer/distributor.

Also does this vehicle have a crash sensor relay/cutout fitted?

Finally is earth strap between engine and chassis present and fitted correctly?

Reply to
Ken

what engine is it?

2.0? 2.8? 2.9?

they all differ, but normally if it's the 2.9 it's something so silly you over look it completely

what year is it? if it's a 90 spec onwards then it'll have an imobilizer fitted to it if so then thats your problem

Reply to
dojj

Good call on the earth strap. If missing, will enough to stop to engine from fireing.

Reply to
Elder

You have a wiring or ECU problem if the fuel pump is running *all* the time. It should power for about 1 second then stop with key on. It will only power again with starter engaged, and then obvioiusly all the time the engine is running.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I am wondering if it is possible to put a pinto in rather that the 2.0 dohc that is currently fitted.

the imobiliser had been removed before i bought the car so i presume that can no longer be the problem also the engine cut out switch had been removed and replaced with a constant feed.

ps it is a 1993 on a K

cheers bob

dojj wrote:

Reply to
bob

is it possible to fit a pinto onto the four wheel drive box

cheers bob

Reply to
bob

Yep, Sierra Cosworth 4x4 has one.