YANCHR - Powerful estate.

Are you having a laugh ?

I get less than 500 miles from £80 in my TI, and that's only got 200bhp. It also doesn't carry 500Kg weights around.

1000 miles in a high-performance estate will cost you AT LEAST £200 in petrol !
Reply to
Nom

Spend a little more.

You want a Volvo T5 (240bhp FWD), or an import Subaru Legacy (280bhp Twin-Turbo, and 4x4).

Reply to
Nom

Only the bloody old folk can afford to insure them?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

It's the reason they wear out so early, brittle and no stamina and a tendency complain at any new upgrades. If your car won't start it's worth shouting loudly into the engine bay, as it was probably just "resting its eyes"

T.

Reply to
Trooper

I have a Legacy Turbo, as suggested by Richard. It's a cracker- very underrated car. Fast, good chassis, reliable.

I suspect your 3 mile commute will be bad for any vehicle, but paricularly on a big, powerful car which will be relatively expensive to fix.

The only downside to the Legacy is that the turbo produces most of it's power when it's revving, so it's not brilliant for low speed towing (especially since the clutch seem a potential weak point). As a car for touring the highlands, however, it'd be hard to beat- there's something reassuring about commiting to an overtake and feeling the turbo spool up, knowing that you have another three thousand revs of power band before you need to upshift!!

Cheers, W.

Reply to
William Warburton

Omega MV6 estate

Reply to
Martin Imber

-- Big Egg Hack to size, weld to join, grind to shape, paint to cover. My name is not "news". If you reply to that address, I won't get it My ebay shop:

bigegg

um, that should have been £400 per 1000 miles. Sorry.

-- Big Egg Hack to size, weld to join, grind to shape, paint to cover. My name is not "news". If you reply to that address, I won't get it My ebay shop:

bigegg

Front wheel drive tho?

-- Big Egg Hack to size, weld to join, grind to shape, paint to cover. My name is not "news". If you reply to that address, I won't get it My ebay shop:

bigegg

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think that I'm pretty much settled on the Carlton Diamond, (I've just found a

2l 8V for 250 quid!) + a 3.0l 24V engine + turbo upgrade (eventually), and maybe an overbore to 3.5l (?).

I'm tempted by the Scooby, but I'm doubtful about the boot size + it isn't so "stealthy" - people expect a scooby to be fast!

Regarding the 3 mile commute, I usually cycle to work anyway, it wouldn't be too much of a problem to cycle home to pick up the car if I have to make a delivery.

I saw a 1950s (?) XK1?0 Jag that someone had converted to an estate in one of the classic car mags (someone who used it as a support vehicle for their race-car). I'd love one of those. Perhaps my next kit car project? Space frame chassis, small block chevy V8, fibre glass body.... hmmm...... need to go play with AutoCad.

-- Big Egg Hack to size, hammer to fit, weld to join, grind to shape, paint to cover. My name is not "news". If you reply to that address, I won't get it My ebay shop:

bigegg

Nope, Omegas are definitely rear-wheel drive.

I've got a real nice condition high-miler for sale soon. Just needs a new timing chain. Going cheap.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Forget all that:

Drool....

-- Big Egg Hack to size. Hammer to fit. Weld to join. Grind to shape. Paint to cover. My name is not "news". If you reply to that address, I won't get it My ebay shop:

bigegg

Omega? Nah, it's a Carlton in drag, innit...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Lovely, innit?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Someone told me that the Carlton was the last of the RWD vauxhalls. Silly me for not checking.

I'll add it to my list for a test drive.

Was there a 2.5l V6 Mondeo 4x4i estate made? I saw a FWD version (150,000 miles tho) on a R reg for a grand the other week.

-- Big Egg Hack to size. Hammer to fit. Weld to join. Grind to shape. Paint to cover. My name is not "news". If you reply to that address, I won't get it My ebay shop:

bigegg

nope

4wd mondeos only cam with 136 bhp 2.0 zetec the estates are VERY rare

Reply to
dojj

tm

the git!!!!! :)

Reply to
dojj

I was next to a 4x4 Mondeo estate t'other morning in York!!!

Woohoo!

Reply to
DervMan

Well... one of my cars is:

4.0L Very big estate 4x4 Leather Climate Control Heated seats Cruise Control Power steering ABS 240bhp

A supercharger kit is available to take it up to around 350bhp or if you want a bit of oomph cheaply, add nitro.

Costs a bit more than three grand but a 5 year old one could probably be had for something closer to it.

Not very sporty though, it's the Fraud Exploder.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So why do I have a diff under the boot for and drive shafts to the rear wheels

Reply to
Martin Imber