map light

my 85 gt has a map light mounted to the roof just above the mirror. Looks kind of like a chrome flashlight that pulls down from its mount. The light doesnt come on. Any ideas what controls that damn thing?? :-)

Dave

Reply to
Mustang GT

The light is activated by pulling it down.... you'll need to check the bulb or maybe the power and ground circuits.

Jim Warman

There is a little button under the light which sometimes breaks inside the assembly. I fixed mine with little watchmaker bolts and a tiny drill.

Paul

Reply to
GPF

GPF opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.teranews.com:

That's the answer... The switch is the weak point of this thing. Careful to not lose screws when you take it down, otherwise straightforward.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

And there is a little metal ball bearing that not only acts as a detent, but switch as well. It may have fallen out.

I was *shocked* to see this map light in my '91; it was exactly the same product listed in the J.C. Whitney catalog from the early 60's.

Don Montgomery

Reply to
donrm

Map light all fixed... Thanks a million for everyones help. Turned out the switch inside the housing had fallen apart. I simply put it back togeather and expoxied the housing down.

Reply to
Mustang GT