Stang Axles in a TurboCoupe Rearend ??

I recently picked up an 88 Turbo Couple rear-end minus the axles (long story) to install in my 89.

I remember reading somewhere, that the Stang axles will fit/work in the TC housing even though it's 1.5" wider.

I want to install the TC rear since it has 3.55s -Vs- my Stang's 2.73s. The other problem is that the calipers/rotors are shot on the TC rear. So for now, I'm going to stick with my 10" drums and need to reuse my Stang's axles.

Can someone verify/expand on the whether or not my Stang's axles will interchange into the TC rear ??

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, Unknown Camshaft(??), HyperTech Chip, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.
Reply to
Katmandu

You will have no problems in converting this rear end over for Mustang duty.

The housing width is the same, the axles on the TC is what is longer due to the rear disc brakes. What you will need to do is take a die grinder and cut the anti-moan bracket that is welded to the axle tube, this will allow you to remove the caliper bracket that is bolted to the flange. The quad shock bracket is taller on these (TC rearends) and needs to be cut down and a new hole drilled if you want to run the quads. Transfer your original brake hardware including lines and you will be set.

As a side note I have axles available from TC's (4 lug disc brake) We have done several of these conversions including the one in our 97 5.0 coupe. The manual trans cars came with 3:55 while the autos came with 3:73 from the factory.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Cool! Thanks Tim!

I was afraid the Stang axles would "only" work in the TC rear-end, but by giving up 3/4" (each side) at the spline end. That would not have been good.

I will need TC axles on down the road when I'm ready to convert back to rear disks. I'll Email you Off-Line.