The car that got away...

The car that got away... there's lots of those in the family...

my dad had sheesh... a whole flock of cars over his life... he came to Miami in a 57 Chevy (one of the cars on my list to own someday) then it got stolen but he got it back... in Alabama!, my Grandparents had a 57 Chevy which they sold, my dad also had an old Model T ford when he was around 18 or so that he fixed up, at one point there was a 56 Ford in our back yard that my dad sold to a friend who wanted to fix it up (he kicked himself for not keeping it... I would have been proud to drive it... as long as it ran well and had a CD player installed). My bro had a 32 ford hotrod he sold for 5000 and bought his first vette with. And me... when I was looking for a car, everyday on my way to school I passed a car lot with a blue 73 stingray out front for about 3000 or the beautiful 66 (I think) white (i could even see the burgundy interior from the road) mustang hard top in the front lot of the Jag dealership also on the way to school.... oooo.... I'm so jealous of the people who got those!!!!!

Reply to
Snowy Rose

yeah

I HAD a 1971 Chevelle 2-door, automatic, No air, or radio, 307 V-8, got it in 1978, with 35,000 miles on it.... drove it till 1981, and sold it with

50,000 miles for $1,000......

what a mistake that was.. when have you seen a 1970-72 Chevelle or Malibu

2-door lately???
Reply to
mark hoffman

I have a sad one...

I had an 84 Turbo Cougar as my first car. I loved that car, and I should have kept it. I put all new fuel injection components in it and a new turbo. My father and I sanded it and painted it together. He had it reupholstered for me as a gift too. Anyway, there was a nice V8 87 Cougar at this hillbilly car lot in a neighboring town. I decided that I needed a V8, and a new project so I traded the 84 in for a lousy $800 (it was a ripoff, but I really wanted the 87) towards the 87. After driving my new red one around for a while, I passed the car lot where I bought it, and my old 84 was sitting in the back. Out of curiosity I stopped to see what it was doing back there ( I didn't realize the sentimental value of that car until I got rid of it ). The owner said he was racing it and it sucked a valve, and if I wanted it I could have it for $300. Man, I wanted to buy it right then! but I was broke. A few weeks went by, and alas, it wasn't sitting back there any more. I thought I would never see it again. But the very next day, I saw it sitting in front of a repair garage just

2 blocks away. I thought to myself "at least sombody is going to fix it". The next day, it was inside one of the garage bays at the shop. Then, the next day, I drove by and could not believe what I saw. The repair shop had burned down, and there in the rubble was a rusty orange shell of my poor old car. I felt like I was going to be sick.

Thats my sad story of the one who not only got away, but will never return.

CoogarXR

1983 351w Project
Reply to
CoogarXR

My brother had one, not sure of its history but it was not original. It had no rust at all but could have used paint and interior. It had a pretty decent 350 in it with a built turbo 350 tranny and new rear

4.11's. He sold it for 1500. It was a 71 malibu, when he bought it it had the SS hood and grill and big block parts were in the car(but no motor). He ended up selling it with the motor and tranny he built. It was a pretty nice muscle car for 1500 bucks, this was about 3 years ago. Erik D. '94 white lightning
Reply to
Erik D.

I was an Air Force 2Lt in Pilot Training in 1967 at Moody AFB, Valdosta GA - driving a 67 Formula S Fastback 273 HiPerf Formula S Barracuda (which I shoulda kept 7 years later when I traded it). An instructor pilot let me test drive his GENUINE 289 AC Cobra, which he would sell me for $3000. The only thing wrong was a slight right rear axle whip. But I'd never seen $3000 in a pile in one place and didn't know it existed - so I passed up the Cobra. Not a car, but a pilot buddy and I went for a long sight-seeing drive and when passing through Tallahasse FL, we passed by a VoTech School which had a P-51 Mustang in the back lot for sale. It was stripped to bright metal and standing on its own gear. The complete engine/prop was setting beside it. It was a training tool ready to be surplussed. It could be reassembled to fly-away condition. They wanted $7000. O Well!!

As my Italian Grandmother used to say, "Too soon old, too late smart!" Ciao Brian in Seattle

Reply to
Brian from Home

Back in about 1972 I was test driving a MINT 1966 2+2 4 speed mustang in red that an old man was asking $600 for. I was 16, had just gotten my license and was looking for a car without telling my father about it yet. When I approached him soon thereafter we argued for days but the answer was "no you can't buy it because you're too young + blah blah blah". Amazingly if my son was in a similar situation, I would probably act the same way as my father did. Several months later, however, I found a similar '66 fastback in copper for $600 that I did get permission to buy. The pisser is that this one was a piece of shit compared to the red one! I will never forget driving that first one! I guess there is a moral here somewhere but I haven't figured it out yet.

Reply to
yoda

Way back in 1993, I bought an LX 5.0 hatchback....

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I new a guy that bought a junkyard. He decided to take a bunch of cars to the crusher that he thought were not of any value to make room for more cars. One of them was what he thought was a Karman Ghia. Turned out it was a Porche like the one James Dean was driving when he was killed.

Reply to
nospam

man--that would have been a Spider, I think it was called. In fact, it MAY have been Dean's car since that car has vanished somewhere unknown

Reply to
vince garcia