Key Problems

Howdy folks, The other day someone tried to break into my car, a 1990 Nissan Maxima. Nice old car with 154000 miles on it;works well and hasn't given me any serious problems. Well,nothing major happened when he/she tried to break in. I think the security alarm must have gone off or something. So everything inside was fine. No body damage. But in the attempt,both the driver and passenger side keyholes got screwed. So I am not able to open my car by plugging in the key. I did however manage to find a way to get into the car. The trunk keyhole's fine and so I open the trunk push forward the rear seat handrest and use a long pole to open the backdoor lock. I know. I know. Very clumsy. No wonder, I 've been staying up at work till 11 PM! Now, trying to think of a solution, here's what i considered. I wouldnt want to replace the keyholes with the risk of it being a victim of a prank again. I also had a look at some keyless entry systems available online. Some from AudioVox,Bulldog. I also dont wanna spend too much on the car right now since I am looking at buying a new car some months from now. Plus the Bulldog (KE100 I think) is avaialble at buy.com for $30. To make it easier for the gurus here,I have listed some questions which I would love to have some insight on. 1. Is installing a keyless alarm the right choice in my current condition? Or rather, is it even viable .I am especially curious about this since I wonder if while installing the keyless kit,the security alarm will go off. It has happened before when I needed a jump start, but then I just locked and unlocked the car with my door key. Now with my door lock disfunctional, I am not too sure. I read somewhere that inserting the ignition key(the ignition and door keys are separate for my Maxima) into the ignition keyhole works. Also, an interesting point is today morning while I was doing the creeping-into-trunk-opening-door routine the alarm did go off. What I then did was shut the trunk and unlock it again with the door key. It worked! 2. I would be the first to say that I dont know much about cars. Considering that is self-installing a kit like the KE100 doable for someone like me? 3. Should I be considering some other options which I obviously am not aware of?

I apologize for the long email. Thanks for your time and patience.

Help! Shravan

Reply to
Shravan

Go to your local scrap yard and get a single 2nd hand door handle assembly + key and there you have it , ok you will have to carry 2 keys around for the car but hardly a hardship or you could probably replace the whole lot for cheap, again from a scrapper I bet a lot of model Nissans share the same keyhole/lock systems I replaced all round for my old golf for £10.

Reply to
marklapham

Thanks for your suggestion. I am still considering that option although leaning towards the remote keyless system. As I mentioned, I am not interested in spending time and money again on a new lock. And I say again because lots of people I have talked to here seem to have gone through the same problem,but they have nicer cars and with their keyless systems using the doorkey isn't a necessity. Nonetheless,thanks for taking the time in responding. Any idea though how hard it is to bypass the factory security alarm and install a keyless remote for my 90 Maxima?

-Shravan

Reply to
Shravan
Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

What do you do when your car battery dies? Or leave the lights on?

What happens when the little coin cell battery dies in the remote?

I'm really curious!

Reply to
Ken

The message from Ken contains these words:

I asked this question in the Rover dealer's yesterday. It seems that they replace the cell and connect the remote to a computer to recode it to the correct frequency for your car.

Reply to
Paul Simonite

Thanks Paul. Although not directly related to my case, any info is welcome!

-Shravan

Reply to
Shravan