2003 Maxima with 41k miles and service engine soon light on

I have a 2003 Maxima with about 41k miles on it. I noticed the service engine soon light a week or so ago. My husband checked all the things under the hood he knew to check.

Is there something I should check myself BEFORE I take it in to the Dealership?? Someone mentioned something with the gas cap??

Also, it used to have this 'knock' when I go uphill. I dont recall it lately. Anyone know what that is?

Angela

Reply to
angela.gerleman

Make sure the gas cap clicks shut when you get gas.

Reply to
Joe

The CEL could be on for many reasons. Take the car to a qualified mechanic who can retrieve the stored codes (thats why the CEL is on) and determine what problem the car computer (ECU) has detected and is reporting.

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Car computer (ECU) has now stored error codes. This may be read with a reader. Some say autozone does this for free, gives & clears the code and gives opinion. All that comes free, is good... Their opinion should be valued at 10%.

Some codes are transient and will go 'away' if new 'trigger incidents' dont happen, so its good to know the code.

Stealership wants swap lots of parts to charge, that is why first only ask diagnosis, opinion, quotation if u go there. Dont let them do anythin. After that, take your time and ask quotations from other shops as your car seems (?) to be ok. If theres smtg to be repaired, go to a shop which is recommended to you. Whatever parts may be changed, demand them back before leaving your car (btw. dont do that, sit by your car ...so airbags wont be 'transferred to better purposes'). This way they dont rip you so easily.

Suggest u husband to purchase a code reader, may be used on any recent vehicles:

(I have no experience of that particular devicebecause it doesnt fit my max) Other info for him at page
...see at top left 'Favorite Links' Check also out this forum links below, also do search.

Sorry: "Uphill knock" is relatively vague: from overrun rabbit to loos bottles in trunk. Got to have more info...

Reply to
Wiikinki

As other said, it needs to have the codes read. As for the knocking going up hill, you're running premium right? That's what it requires.

Reply to
JimV

Sounds like you're not so sure about Mr. Handyman? ;-)

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins