My 99 Maxima suddenly could not start

My 99 Maxima ran fine. Then I suddenly could not start it. The engine rotates but never start. My battery is just about 5 months old. I checked all fuses, they all look good. I manually read the flash code. It has "1401 and 1402". Does anyone know what these flash codes are? I could not find them on Haynes Book or on the internet. Since my Maxima has security key, the one with a chip inside, this symptom is like when you put an invalid ID key. The engine rotates but never starts. Is possible that I need to have a dealer to re-program or re-code the key. Thanks in advance for any help

Reply to
Dallas Cowboy

oh my god I got the same problem today. exactly the same as your case. do you fix it yet? Do you go to nissan service

Reply to
1999stanmaxima

No, I have not. My car is parked at my friend's home. After frustrated to troubleshoot, I intend to call a tow truck to pull it to a dealer. This is a terrible problem which only a dealer may figure out. I called a several dealer last weekend to explain the problem and ask them interpret the code that I read. They were all helpless but asked me to bring my car in. They said that since the car is not started, the estimation of checkup cost will run from $85 to $250. My personal guess is the security key might be a major problem. I have read some posts. Some people had tried to change a starter, starter's relay, feul filter, etc...but still did not work. To help me narrow the problem, what did you do before your car did not start? These are my lists before my car dies:

1) My son he asked me to insert a key in. He might have inserted a wrong key instead of my Maxima's key. That may have messed up the key code.

2) I used to buy gas at Sam's Club, Exxon, Mobil, 7-Eleven. I just pumped gas from a gas station called Quicktrip before headed to my friend's house. I never pumped this Gas Station before.

3) Before that few days, I accidently turned the ignition key on while the engine was running. Just wonder if a starter gears have stucked or miss tooth. However, the car has been fine for a few days until I visited my friend. I parked my car at
Reply to
Dallas Cowboy

I had a same problem as your 1st case

I did use the factory key o start my car that day, and it ran fine but when I went back to home one hour later. I tried to park my car back to drive way, it didn't start anymore. I didn't understand the key had a same code, but it massed up that's stupid. I went to dealer to make a appointment to fix that problem tomorrow. i know it will so expensive to do that, but I have no choice. I think only dealership can fix this terrible problem.

Reply to
1999stanmaxima

Please let me know how does it go after you go to a dealer? How much will they charge you? If you tell them straight that you inserted a wrong key that may have messed up the code, then you may save some money since a dealer's mechanic does not have to guess and spend extra time to trouble shoot. Good luck

Reply to
Dallas Cowboy

Another thing, if you could ask a dealer of how to prevent such a incidence in future. How to disable or how to by-pass if it happens again in future? Otherwise, Maxima owners have to keep paying this ridiculous problem. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dallas Cowboy

yes I will. I will complain them when they help me to fix the prolem. She said that will take 2-3 days to slove the problem, but I was not sure the exactly price they will charge me.

Reply to
1999stanmaxima

hello! I took my car back. They charged me $90 for re-programed the key & system. She said it lose the program to start the car by some kind of reason that they don't know either, so she suggested that use the key that usually to use and never tried to put different key to start the car. good luck

Reply to
1999stanmaxima

Thanks again. I go straight to a dealer and tell them that my car did not start. The key code might have been messed up as my son played before the incidence occured. Yes, they reprogrammed it, and it works.

Reply to
Dallas Cowboy