205 J reg dip dim resistor - where is it...?!!!

hi all,

my main beams work on full, but not dipped - i've been told that this is more than likely the dip dim resistor that's blown, i've gotten hold of a new one, and it looks straight-forward enough to replace, but the difficult part is actually locating the old one!!! where is it? no sign under the bonnet or under the steering wheel/glove compartment. slowly going mad...

my 205 is a J reg (92) 1 litre trio.

any help greatly appreciated!

jj

Reply to
john jones via CarKB.com

andy

Pugs built after a certain date have a system fitted to operate the dipped beam on reduced power when you switch on the side lights with the ignition on. The resistor that controlls this can become faulty and prevent the dipped beam operating at all. IMO it's a stupid system because it fails unsafe.

As to where the dim dip resistor actually is I can't help. There's a picture in the Haynes manual but it just shows the resistor pack clipped into a mounting clip. Presumably it is somewhere under the bonnet as it is on a painted area.

Reply to
Phil Cook

cheers andy.

hmm, i considered that it might be the stalk, but everything seems to be working fine (lights on the dashboard are consistent when indicating whether the high beam or dipped beam is selected) checked out a couple of posts on here (see link below) and although the post refers to a 106 it sounds exactly like the problem i'm experiencing... if only i could find that resistor. i paid a visit to the haynes manual aisle in halfords earlier today, the book refers to the dim/dip lighting system, and the resistor appears in the circuit diagram, but not in any of the examples...!

could it be behind all of the plastics?

here's that link to an earlier post:

jj

Reply to
john jones via CarKB.com

or maybe behind the dash...? it sounds stupid, but i've checked again and again under the bonnet to no avail - don't fancy the prospect of pulling the dashboard off... i might just have to swallow my pride and ring the peugeot garage. cheers phil.

jj

Reply to
john jones via CarKB.com

May be of no use at all, but, on a Citroen BX, it is behind the front grille, in front of the radiator. Worth a look round this area maybe.

-- R

This may be of help but maybe not - link points to where the dimdip resistor is located in my 95 306DT. It may give you a start where to look.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason