306 1.9td m reg

my friends 306 td has a problem when you turn off ignition the engine continues running as if you had'nt turned it off only the battery light stays on. he says it ran out of diesel and the bloke from the AA removed a T shaped bar and o - ring from some where in the system but im buggered if i can locate where it fits any ideas??

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

That sounds like the stop solenoid isn't working. You can stop it manually by pushing the lever on the fuel pump. I rigged mine with a piece of string to save me opening the bonet each time until I could get a solenoid.

That could be the solenoid too, though I'm just guessing.

You shouldn't need to remove anything to bleed the system after running out of fuel.

Reply to
Phil Cook

Sounds like he/she should be complaining to the AA and asking them to fix it.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Erm, surely the idea is that you take the "T shaped bar and o - ring" to your garage, and he fixes the car hence curing the can't-stop-the-engine problem ?

If you get the AA to come out again and replace the "T shaped bar and o - ring" then you're right back where you started !

Reply to
Nom

I thought the OP said that it was the AA man who removed the parts when it ran out of diesel and that caused the electrical problem. Therefore the AA should have the expense of rectifying what they have done. If the parts were originally fitted to the car, they must have been there for a reason. If the washing machine repairman removed the plug, you would expect him to put it back again, not leave it in your hand to sort out.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

It is also more than likely that the said AA man also removed the wire from the solenoid, hence the refusal to stop now. When you run out of fuel in a Peugeot, there is absolutely no requirement to remove anything, you just have to bleed the system of air, which at worst requires slackening the injector pipe nuts. Certainly have a go at the AA, he was incompetant. Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Right, I see where you're coming from.

I took it to read that the AA man had removed said parts, as the beginnings of the required repair for the already existing fault. Obviously if he's removed them in error, and knackered things, then yes, he oughtta be fixing it again :)

Yep.

But if the washing machine man said "I can't fix it right now, but what you need is one of these. Take this plug to your local washing-machine-garage, and get it replaced" then I'd be perfectly happy !

Reply to
Nom

Agreed, but that wasn't how I read the OP.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks