GTP radio code

I just bought a 2000 GTP from a friend of mine, and among the things that don't work is lighted display on the radio. I can view the display with a flashlight, but I want to try to fix it. Before I remove it from the car, I would like to make sure that it's either "unlocked" or that I can "unlock" it when I put it back in. I read through the owner's manual and a bunch of websites... but most of them refer to unlocking a radio that is locked. I just want to know if there's a way for me to retrieve, disable or remove the unknown code before it locks up? Thanks in advance, David

Reply to
David Courtney

No. If Theftlock was never activated you are fine. If it was...you'll need to go through the steps after you are done. I guess you could always unhook the battery for several hours and find out if you'll need the code beFORE removing the radio, but that seems unhelpful.

About fixing the radio; there are small bulbs behind the display (that look like LEDs), and are available at Radio Shack (I think they are the ONLY thing still available at Radio Shack...except Verizon phones and $$gold$$ AV cables) GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Thanks Geoff, I figured finding the bulbs would probably be the easy part. We have a RS close by, too. Hopefully the theftlock was de-activated, she had somebody replace the battery not too long ago and the radio works now. But with my luck... LOL! Thanks again, David

Reply to
David Courtney

Any idea whether or not I can swap in a "Monsoon" amp when I have the radio out? I would really rather only take the radio out once... so if I need to order a new wiring harness or something, I would wait to fix the light bulbs until I have the parts. Does a '00 GTP without the Monsoon system have an amp that can just be swapped out? Supposedly the head units are identical, except for the Monsoon badge on the front. Thanks in advance, David

P.S. I bought a Monsoon amp, which has 32 pins on the back... but I haven't pulled my radio yet to see what it has.

Reply to
David Courtney