Saab 2003 + ignition Key fobs

After hearing the tale of woes caused by somebody losing their keys on a 2003

9-3 and having to replace the computer ($$$) I purchased a used Key Fob on ebay. I took it to the local dealer and ask that he program it in, after awhile he said it was not possible, keys can only be coded once and are not reuasable in any other vehicle. Does anyone have any infomation/details on the keyless entry computer/ignition system.
Reply to
BoB

Yes do not lose thoso keys it will cost you $boukou$ dollares

I did the same thing you did I bought my secong tranmitter on EBAY for my

2002 95 AERO

And worked fine but you need the dealer to program it for you My dealer charge me 20$00 I was told the y do it for free But since I did not buy the car there they stik it to me.

Where what I did bought the remore on ebay for 30.00 . Put ebay remote on new key. Saab dealer made key for 15$00 and programed it for 20$00

30$00 + 15$00 + 20$00= 65$00 total cost ......... versus 120$00 + for a new key at the dealer.

I think the dealer is lying to you they dont like it when you try to save a buck.

Reply to
I am

Yea, that's def bs. I have a 1999 9-3 and updated my keys and remotes to the new modern key with the built in remote (aka 2003 model keys). But yea, the keys do have to be programmed by the dealer. And you can have as many as 4 keys and 4 remotes connected to your comp. Only if you have lost both sets of keys and remotes do you have to buy a new computer. So what I did was, program my 2 sets of keys and remotes to the car, then I purchased the remotes of ebay (the 2003 model keys), scrapped the existing metal that came with the key, and paid the dealer $60.00 for two new laser cut keys that fit into the remotes I got off ebay. So yea you might want to check with another dealer. I often use other certified Saab service shops, instead of the dealer. My dealer wanted $786 for my 60,000 car check up, and I had it priced at a local Certified Saab service place for no more than $400. Not bad, so just weary of dealers and service. - Alex

Reply to
9-3Turbo