Saab Complaint

in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Tucker Muck at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 23/09/2003 20:12:

Thank the Lord he's no longer a committed Saab driver. We might get a bad name ...

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

My thoughts exactly. I was about to suggest we take up a collection to buy the Saab from him.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

This is a load of old hockey pucks. Anyone in the US who has driven.. no been in a Saab would never place a Toyota or Honda in the same class.

What is the writer "smoking".

saabs are seen as sophisticated akternatives to Volvos, Audis, Mercedes (the smaller Models before the become "Fat".

For the record Renaulte , Opels, Peuots, are no longer sold or supported her. For a Renault that I had until my wife totalled it. (She survived with a skinned shin, the car did not) I had to have my son in Canada purchase parts and re-ship them to me.

Malcolm

B(ack home after a long hospitalization)

Reply to
Malcolm Mason

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Malcolm Mason at snipped-for-privacy@toadmail.com wrote on 25/09/2003 21:05:

Quite so!

Best wishes - hope things are okay Malcolm.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

I concur and confirm what Milton has seen. I leased a new SAAB 9-3 two year ago, and the tires failed on me 5 times (!) in the first year. The dealer refused to pay for any replacements, as tires are "wearable items" and are not covered by warranty. Those were Michelin tires.

This was ridiculous. My average mileage is only 3,000 miles per year.

I have already returned that car and have no intention of getting a new SAAB again. None of the older SAABs I had (1980, and 1994) ever had this problem: I never had to change the tires on them except for when they wear out.

I thought about changing to another brand/model, but with the car beeing leased, they would have changed me the cost of a new Michelin anyway at the end if I did not have the matching tire set on it.

I doubt that Michelin produces defective tires in such amounts that I would hit 5 of them (all bought separately) within one year. I tend to think that there is something in the SAAB's wheel construction that makes the tires pop so quickly.

I also use Michelin tires on SUBARU, and in three years had only one failure (puncture, the tire itself was quite intact).

Reply to
Nick Monyatovsky

[...]

Why should he pay for replacement tires if you "doubt that Michelin produces defective tires"?

So what actually happened? How did the tires fail? Where was the damage? What size of tires/wheels? What pressures did you have?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

(21 days ago...)

OK, and what did Michelin say about it? Tire warranties (on all cars, nothing unique to Saab, by the way) are with the tire manufacturers; all of the paperwork for them has been in with my owner's manual (based on '65, '71, '88 and '99 cars).

Maybe you can find something; Milt either wouldn't, or couldn't. This thread has several peoples' suggestions of resources for him to try, perhaps you could try some of them.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Oh gawd, not another moron who provides no useful info whatsoever but whinges on incessantly about nothing...

Reply to
Grunff

True story... and it doesn't even include my other accounts, going back a good dozen years or more. I've been around a long time, and I've posted *many* more than the 4800 posts you found.

I'm supposed to be embarrassed, because you know how to use Google?

... I've been contributing to Usenet for years. I've even started new Usenet groups, which is something none of you have ever done.

I've seen a lot on Usenet. Newsgroups are a great information resource and a wonderful personal hobby. Nothing here has really surprised me.

I've seen this petulant group behavior many times on lots of Usenet newsgroups. Frequent posters in "small" newsgroups often don't welcome new posters, or they can't deal with some less-than adulatory question or comment. They 'jump' the poster. They essentially lose, or they just decide that their frequent posting history gives them the right to behave like trolls.

... when abuse doesn't work; they start throwing mud at the new poster -- anything that comes to hand.

In your case, you've looked around to find something personal you could say about me, that would be either scandalous or embarrassing -- just because you can't deal with the complaint I made about Saab tires.

This is a very childish, but very widespread posting strategy, and it's a bit dismaying when I see it. It is especially dismaying when I see it here, in a group that is supposed to support a very well-designed and usually well-made car that attracts reasonably discriminating and appreciative drivers.

****

In the meantime, this group is supposed to be about Saabs: Not me.

Saabs that need readily available shop manuals that Saab doesn't make available, except on shamelessly expensive CDs. Saabs that need well-made parts from third-party sources. Saab owners that need intelligent online tech advice and informal recommendations regarding dealers, parts, upgrades, driving, and auto care. Saab posters that need links to good web sites, books and other information sources.

I like my Saab very much, but I can see why Saab doesn't sell as well as it should, given this group's posting standards, which I would more likely expect to see on a group supporting Fords or Buicks.

I'm going back to the Studebaker group, where the guys know what they're talking about and only get mad at important things. They have a FAQ; good well-maintained sites; a great owners' group; they help each other find parts and mechanics and even good cars to restore -- you guys could learn a few things about automobile newsgroups from them.

milt brewster

I like my Saab very much, but you're welcome to make me an offer.

Don't be so snippy over little things, Laura. It's not attractive.

milt brewster

Why do you care? You're in Sweden, aren't you? What do you know about safety laws in the United States?

It looks to me like Saab has a tire and suspension problem in the United States, whether it shows up in the NTHSA database or not. I'm here to tell you that it's a serious problem.

If you need to, go back and re-read my posts. Consider what I said, especially about the statistical theory that goes into declaring a problem to be a "safety" problem in the US. HINT: not very many drivers here need to encounter a safety issue for it to cause major, major harm to lots of people.

Johnannes, your job here is to share your experience concerning tires and suspension; not just f*ck with new posters with whom you disagree. Grow up.

milt brewster

Once again, David; you're trying to claim once again, that I didn't do anything to help myself. In fact I did, and affirmed it several times. How dense can you be?

I went to Saab and to Michelin. I went to the NTHSA database. No one here has proposed any other sources or information, and it took a week of enduring personal abuse just to get this much out of those other posters.

I am doing what I can do, which is more than most drivers of any car would have the time or the inclination to do.

You've provided precisely *no* help to me at all, and have, in fact, posted a significant amount of the personal abuse I had to read through two weeks ago.

You are no help to Saab drivers who post here. I'll give you some good advice that Johannes gave to me after reading just my first post here: I suggest that it's your turn to just go away now.

milt brewster

Because. A) he isn't in Sweden B) Saab make World cars just like everyone else.

While it may be down to Road standards or a particularly US driving style (both doubtful), the same car with the same tyre may behave in the same way wherever in the world it is.

And he might actually care because, just because a particular part/method or practice isn't banned by law, doesn't make it dangerous.

Cosmetic surgery in the UK, is only basicaly regulated.

As long as they don't actually claim to be a doctor, any one can setup a private cosmetic clinic, and perform surgical procedures of a cosmetic nature.

The Law doesn't stop it, but we hear horror stories everyday about botched operations and people scarred for life.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

No, I'm not in Sweden. I was really interested in answers to those questions, but I guess it's too late now. How else can we make progress?

So do something about it instead of moaning. What have you done so far? Who have you contacted? What was the result?

Ghosh, take will take ages. A certain superiority attitude shine trough here. Why do you buy foreign cars at all?

Suit yourself.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Good lord, is Milt *still* at it? Looks like he's neither changed his approach, or done any of the homework yet. How tiresome. As to contributions to the newsgroup [barely surpressed giggle] I don't think that's an issue.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Didn't know I had a job. Look forward to the salary package.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

btw, saabnet.com is a great saab source as well...

Reply to
Chris O'Malley

I had a tyre failure yesterday. It all started when I removed the nail, air came rushing out. Had to get a new tyre due to the location of the nail.

I'm going to sue Volvo for this one because the tyre was on a Volvo.

:)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Wash your mouth out using language like that in here. (I edited the quote BTW, to save repeating such profanities).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:30:28 GMT, Paul Halliday

Better now , thanks Paul.

I have heard something about BMW 5's being some kind of competion. I must be slipping.

Now the guy across the road with the Jag 12... but that is another story

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm