61 Hawk second chance offer

I was offered this 61 Hawk for $9777, any interest ?

John Poulos

I've been following this auction because I thought it would be a good representation of the value of my '61 Hawk. Let's just say I am a little disappointed, this car is probably worth double the $9777 asking price. I know I've got more than that into mine and I'm sure Brad has that much into the one Ray restored for him. People at shows look at mine and ask me what I'll take for it, I tell them honestly to look at the window sticker and add another zero onto the end... the window sticker shows with the options added that it would have stickered at $3,650.

Lee

--

***
Reply to

So you are saying I should drive over and look at it ? It's near me. I was concerned about the rust bubbles and upholstery flaws, plus that rear bumper hints that the car might have been pretty rough at one time. BTW, that car, is not even close to yours in condition, and you'd spend

20K to get it there.

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

That's a bit pricey for a parts car, isn't it?

Reply to
Lee

I'd ask Ray before going... I know one '61 Hawk, he knows several. I don't think it looks that bad... but then I've only seen two types of finned Hawks, total basket cases and body off restorations.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

I've been following that car lately and at one time {IMHO} remarked on a previous post that to me it to be possibly worth a bit over half of what the buy it now was. Only by looking at the not so revealing photos. Evidently some others agreed as It did not even make his lowered reserve price. Let's see, the car had shiny paint, rust bubbles and that awful looking rear bumper. Kick panels were shot. Just to name a few issues.. I'm not going to pick that car apart. I am not within a reasonable distance to check it out. Quite possibly a knoweledgeable seller trying to promote this car would have at least changed that awful looking rear bumper. The photos just didn't allow a prospectuve buyer a good enough representation of its current condition. Although there are owners out there with impecable looking C model finned Hawks out there thinking their cars are worth big bucks, I can not disagree or agree with you. A car is only worth to the seller what a buyer is willing to pay for it. Generally I think the C-K's are under priced when compared to some of the like condition Chebbies and Ferds. The masses are slowly becoming educated. John, would you take a ride over to the sellers place and give the car a thorough inspection and if you are not interested in the car then give us a heads up. It may very well be worth what he offered it to you for. Inquiring minds would like to know. jimmijim

Reply to
jimmijim8

It's a real decent car... would make a good driver, and could look very good with minimal effort. BUT, still $20K+ to make a Show-Car out of it... It's one of those middle-of-the-road cars.

- Original paint- highly doubtful....

- Fin-strips look to have "issues".... it appears they have painted over something....

- Belt mouldings look OK- Good driver-quality (see driver's door/dash pic). You can assume the rest of the chrome is similar

- Seats look awful bland in color, and it's too even - so it's not sun-fading.. they have been done (not bad)

- Engine compartment hasn't been painted- but it's obvious the car has

- Coil is mounted in wrong place (should be on intake).. I'm guessing that's an earlier 4BBL intake w/Edelbrock conversion

- Rust bubbles at front of passenger door, around ventilator- weatherstrip obviously painted over...

- Stainless missing at top of door panels, Panels look OK- but he doesn't show what the carpet looks like at the bottom

- Quarter-window weatherstrip is cracked (badly)- assume the rest is the same....

Ray

Reply to
Studeman

How bout a middle of the road price? What is it.? immijim

Reply to
jimmijim8

How bout a middle of the road price? What is it.? jimmijim

Reply to
jimmijim8

It's a car/presentation with enough questions that one would have to look at it to give any reasonable answer.... For all we know... it has a rebuilt engine, transmission, Turner disks... whatever..... OR... the engine is about to blow, the tranny jumps out of 2nd gear, and the steering wheel snaps outta your hand when you hit the brakes. It's pretty obvious the current seller hasn't a clue either... Or, isn't telling anyone what he knows...

If it's just a number you are looking for $6-$7.5 K Might strike gold... Might buy a mess of problems.

Ray

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Studeman

I totally agree. I would have no problems at 4700.00 jimmijim8

Reply to
jimmijim8