OHV Head

Any one know how to tell the year of a head OHV six? Do they have casting numbers and if so where are they located? What color should the engine be? This one I have has a black block and a blue head. Any other information about these engines would also be appreciated

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

Wiz, as far as I know, '61 engines were painted silver, and all subsequent years they were painted black. Studebaker never used blue during the life of the OHV six. I'd expect that the head was done by a local machine shop, and they simply painted the head with whatever rattle can of engine paint was closest to reach.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Assuming you can't read the engine # A late '62 through 64 would be a full flow block and if the original carb is on the engine the carb # would narrow it down.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Baty

The engine is a 63 full flow block. That much I know because of the oil filter being where it is and the engine number matches with the 63 run. The head is probably reconditioned/rebuilt but I wanted to make sure. In the documentation it states the car received a new head block. So, I guess that meant a new head. The head also looks to be in better overall condition than the block, on the outside anyway.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

The parts book I have goes up to 1963. It lists '61-'63 as having a part number of 1553551. I do remember the '64s had the heater hose come out of the opposite end, from the earlier ones. I can't help with the part number though.

Reply to
keith_kichefski

Does it mention where to locate the number on the head? The only one I have seen so far is a "P" stamped on the drivers side towards the front of the head. The coolant hose is located at the back of the head on the drivers side.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

did anyone ever make a different intake for the ovh 6?R

Reply to
am not r2

I only have two different OHV head casting numbers in my files, there may be more that I haven't found yet. The casting numbers are at the rear of the head between two head bolts. One would have to remove the valve cover to see them.

1550582 is the most common and was used from 1961-63. The heater hose outlet is at the left rear on this head. 1560959 is a 1964 head, and has the heater hose outlet at the left front. The date code is also under the valve cover, but at the very front. The 'P' you saw was probably part of that date code. Should have been a couple numbers there before the letter, but sometimes they get ground down during the machining process.
Reply to
Dwain G.