OT Protecting the oil pipeline

It's easy to make fun of the "coalition forces" in Iraq, consisting mainly of Iraqui and US forces, with a few hundred Brits in the south. There is another group that I just heard about today - that's the group of various armed ships of our friends who are protecting the oil tankers moving the crude and refined stuff out of the danger area. I understand that, in addition to USN, the French, Germans and several other navies are concerned. Obviously, they protect oil for all, but as I recall from speaking with folks from the mini-white fleet in the

1950's, it ain't such great duty. Lot's guys manning 50 Calibre guns in the sunshine aboard hot ships. I don't know if it counts for combat pay.

I wonder why it has taken so long to hear of them.

Karl

Reply to
midlant

probably not eligable for combat pay as it is escort duty but after 30 days get sea pay.

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> It's easy to make fun of the "coalition forces" in Iraq, consisting

Reply to
oldcarfart

Reply to