WooHoo! Got her home!

Got my 61 back today from the paint shop - Blaze Red sure is pretty when new! Okay, 68 Ford Pickup Candy Apple Red - Close enough. Now the real fun begins... does anyone know what is best for putting the sound proofing back onto the roof?

Dan

Reply to
Dan Kay

Not close... it's a perfect match. Ford Truck CA Red was used for many years into the late 70's. Same formulation.

Superfast Urethane windshield sealer, spread with a plastic bondo-spreader. "Most" spray-glues will not adhere very long if the car gets real hot. What material do you plan on installing up there?

Ray

Reply to
Studeman

Reply to
Dan Kay

Gorilla Glue's propensity to expand requires it be clamped firmly, or there will be spreading of parts. In the case of roofing, methinks it would create some ugly (and very permanent ) glue patterns in the ceiling. I couldn't tell what kind of vehicle- are the roof panels visible or covered w/ headliner?

Mark ( I hate permanent mistakes) Dunning

Reply to
Mark Dunning

The correct roof sound proofing mat is thin tar paper, or you could use the newer heat shield panels like used on firewalls. In any event, it is covered by the headliner and if installed correctly will not come into contact with the head liner material.

Once you allow the gorilla glue, or the liquid nails to set, applying the mat is simple and mess free. I've had very good results over the years and haven't had anybody come back with one falling out.

Bo

Reply to
64daytonaht

These are the thick, heat shield type panels.

Dan

64dayt>The correct roof sound proofing mat is thin tar paper, or you could use the
Reply to
Dan Kay

Hmmmmmm? Should be about 1/8th thick tar paper?

Bo

Reply to
64daytonaht

You are probably correct - just looked at it again in the pile o' parts in my shop - 1/8th thick fibrous material, quite likely impregnated with a tarry substance?

Reply to
Dan Kay