Best Rated threads in Automotive Technologiesshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

1995 Mercury Sable 3.0L Constant High Idle
Okay, this car runs great but everythime I start up, the RPMs shoot to 2500 then it settles down to 1350 after the initial warm up. Suspecting a vacuum leak, I have checked all hoses an they all look...
1
1

Re: Why is compression so low?
Didn't read the old post, but if everything is new and good, then the timing of the valves may not be 'in phase' with the crank. As if the timing chain or belt skipped a tooth or three.
3
3

1977 coupe deville 425 manifold vacuum behavior
Having a little trouble understanding manifold vacuum and what affects it. When I start my car the vacuum as measured from a port directly into the intake manifold is low, around 14 in Hg. As the car...
5
5

'94 Olds shift indicator adjustment
The gear indicator (park, N, D, etc.) on the dash for our automatic transmission is slightly misaligned (3.1 engine, '94 Olds Cutlass Ciera). This doesn't bother me but drives my wife crazy and she...
3
3

Best way to find carburetor vacuum leak
Hi all -- I'm pretty sure my car has a major vacuum leak around the carburetor, as the car will start and only run for a few seconds and is impossible to keep running. In addition there is a whistling...
25
25

Elusive grinding noise??????
I Have a 1986 Chevy K10 4 wheel drive ( 305ci, 700r4 tranny, np208 transfer case), the truck has a very very loud grinding noise. Like something is stripped or something. So i took to very reputable...
8
8

94 chevy astro oil pressure switch problem
I have a '94 astro van with the 4.3 tbi system. The vehicle starts up for a few minutes when cold then dies when warm and will not restart untill cold again. I figured out I am losing voltage to the...
10
10

1998 Rav4 Problem Code P0401 ( EGR insufficient flow )
Hello, Anyone know George Ganann ? Or does anyone know what was the problem with his 1998 Rav4. I just purchased a 1998 Rav4 less than a month ago. Problem Code P0401 ( EGR insufficient flow ) turned...
5
5

nissan xterra po420 codes
2003 nissan xterra po420 code bank1 i replace both o2s and the manifold and upper convertor still have po420 code
1
1

Fusible Link Cable
I have a 1985 Chevy Celebrity 2.8 V6-Multi port fuel injection, where is the fusible link cable located? The cable broke on both ends due to old age and I need to replace it. Thanks Big Mamma
4
4

1996 Pontiac firebird not starting
Hi, I have another problem with another car!!! When you turn the key in the ignition, the car won't start. It just makes a clicking noise and that's it. We think it might be the alternator. We have...
12
12

1992 Olds Bravada 4.3 stalls and won't move
I have a 1992 Olds. Bravda 4.3 liter engine and I got it from some one else so I don't know the history of the car. When I got it, it ran fine however now that I have it at my house the car will start...
12
12

Disc Brake rotor runout
Yah have to be kidding. Yesterday I popped for a runout gauge, and was all confident that when the need arises, I can measure rotor warp and runout without any problem. Until, I got to the...
23
23

how to adjust idle on 88 celica gt
I want to adjust the idle up from 650 rpm (where it currently vibrates like crazy) to 1000 rpm, where it's super smooth. Is this something i can attempt myself, and can anyone tell me how? Thanks,...
8
8

Thermal efficiency and SFC
Was pondering some stuff on thermal efficiency yesterday. Got to wondering about something. Can one convert specific fuel consumption to thermal efficiency? Seems to me if one takes energy content of...
8
8

1998 Mustang Anti Theft locked?
1998 Mustang driving fine, anti-theft light flashing. Parked car in garage. Came back out to drive and one click and wouldn't start. Put in new battery, still one click and wouldn't start. Lights will...
2
2

98 Mazda B4000 5spd will hesitate / stumble on light acceleration
If you shift up to the next gear too soon or slow down in a gear then try to accelerate....the truck seems to cough / hesitate / buck until you ease off the gas or the speed picks up .. my MAF ? Have...
2
2

1993 mercury topaz harmonic balancer
I am new to this group and I want to ask a question. I have a 1993 Mercury Topaz and from what I was told the harmonic balancer/front pulley is having problems. The noise that is coming from the area...
6
6

Kumho Tire Experiences - Marshal 791 Touring A/S?
Hello I'm in need of new tires for my '03 Corolla. My local Wal-Mart is selling Kumho manufactured "Marshal 791 Touring A/S" tires. for a really good price. Has anyone had any experiences with Kumho?...
1
1

Where is pcv valve on 1987 Lincoln Town car?
The oil change places and I cannot find the pcv valve on the 5.0 liter engine on a Lincoln Town Car. (I assume it would be the same on 87 Ford Crown Victoria) They say its somewhere on back of engine...
2
2