Best Rated threads in Automotive Technologiesshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Fuel door repair on 1994 Ford Escort
Howdy, The fuel door on my 1994 Ford Escort (LX Hatchback) won't open. There is a pull-up door release on the floor near the driver's seat, but something isn't happening. I am a complete car-repair...
5
5

1994 Plymouth Acclaim oil leak?
Hi, I have a 94 Acclaim that appears to have an oil leak. Upon inspection, I noticed that the oil is dripping from a short black hose that run from the top of the valve cover to the under side of the...
4
4

Hydraulic jack - dumb question
I got a flat tire yesterday, and found out that the scissor jack that came with my Chevy S-10 is a pain in the ass to use. So I bought a hydraulic jack and used that when I was taking off the spare...
12
12

GM Passlock question
I have a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire which is showing signs of a problem with the Passlock Vehicle Theft Deterrent system. The car refused to start for several minutes the other night. I finally ran the auto...
2
2

1990 Mitsubishi Montero will not start
Hey all, I have a 1990 Mitsubishi Montero Sport that I am watching for someone who is deployed. I start it every month or so but otherwise do not bother with it. This last month it wouldnt start. I...
2
2

Lost Keys, 1992 Chevy s-10
Your gonna love this... First, I have read several posts about lost keys, and the responders always say the model is needed. The keys in question are for a 1992 Chevy S10...It does not have electric...
11
11

headliner repair ideas?
i drive a 97 VW passat and not only have i had a handful of mechanical problems, but now to top it all off my ABS light comes on randomly and my headliner is falling down. i can't even have people sit...
3
3

93 Maxima won't start in rainy conditions
I'm baffled. My sons' 93 Maxima (V6) refuses to start when it's raining. The engine turns over, but won't start. I'm not familiar with electronic ignition, so I don't know where to start trouble...
1
1

GM Lemon Website
For those who are interested, and have not yet read about the situation with GM, DexCool, and sudden engine failures, the following site is worth a careful read:
1
1

Bad smell from exhaust on E30 BMW
First, let me apologize for the crossposting, but I think both groups are relevant and I read it frequently. I drive an 1990 BMW 325is (E30) with 176 kmiles. About a year ago the cra was quite...
2
2

1997 Mazda Protege: thermostat replacement: $117?
Howdy, I took our '97 Mazda Protege in, it was getting too hot when the A/C was on. The shop I took it to (an independent, Mazda-only, mechanic shop) pressure-tested the coolant system (no leaks),...
13
13

96 Subaru Outback - rear binding + AT Oil Temp flashing on start
I have a Subaru Outback, 1996. About a month ago, the vehicle started acting strangely - going around sharp corners resulting in binding in what feels like the rear of the vehicle, and when you start...
1
1

E4OD E40D Problems slipping shudder things you need to know before you do a rebuild!
E4OD E40D Problems slipping shudder things you need to know before you do a rebuild! I have been working on figuring out the E4OD annoyances for quite some time now and have a list things to do for...

Crankshaft sensors - can they partially fail?
With some no-start, intermittent no-start, and intermittent/engine dying while running situations, a bad crankshaft sensor can be at fault. But can a deteriorating crankshaft sensor allow a car to...
7
7

Re: Lost key to trunk lock - 72 Nova . Open from inside?
I had a similar problem with my '81 Camaro. Was hoping that maybe the keys were in the trunk. :) There was too much stuff in the way for me to get to the latch itself as it was mounted low in the rear...
3
3

Re: 1996 Chevy Tahoe Power Door Locks
Did you try pressing the unlock button on your remote twice in succession? I feel you already know this, but once unlocks only the driver's door and it takes twice in almost direct succession to...
1
1

How many treadwear miles do we REALLY get for every 100 UTQG points?
How many miles will a typical car actually get on a tire rated 500? I googled for the Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) Standards and found articles which describe how the government runs the Texas...
34
34

how to use this battery charger- BRADEX
I inherited a car battery charger - BRADEX 8AMP. No instruction manuals. It has a switch to select LOW and HIGH charge current. There's also a current meter. That's about it. No other indications. I'd...
3
3

Measure fuel consumption from injector signal?
I need to measure relative fuel consumption. Backstory... I have friends interested in energy efficiency. "Something-for-nothing" transportation is a favorite topic (of theirs). I was asked to go look...
28
28