Check engine light causes - where to find a list

Can anyone tell me where I might find a list of all the things that should turn on the check-engine light, for a 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback??

Most importantly, I need to know if engine high temperature should cause the light to come on; but I would like to know the whole list. The manual is vauge, mostly saying that the light is tied to emissions sys problems, but I don't believe that's everything. Can anyone help??

Thanks, DP

Reply to
DP

Severe overheating will set a coolant temperature sensor code.

To what purpose? Why not get it diagnosed and KNOW why the check engine light came on?

Essentially correct. That covers a huge range from very minor issues that would prevent passing an emissions test to problems that will severely impact how it runs. The engine coolant temperature sensor is one part of engine computer control that minimizes emissions.

Automatic transmission also IF SO EQUIPPED -- is it?

DIagnosis beats speculation any day.

Don

Donald Lewis

"DP" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

There are about 300 things that can cause the MIL to come on.

There are EPA-mandated codes (second digit is a zero) and manufacturer-specific "enhanced" codes (second digit NOT a zero).

Here's a good link:

Not all codes will apply to all makes and models.

You may want to peruse this list for more info:

Reply to
Tegger