Running a car on water via electrolysis

Yawn.

Electric machinery that makes me smile? How about a GE 6000 HP locomotive with AC traction motors. 6000-horsepower V16 turbocharged diesel that runs with in a hair's breadth of the theoretical maximum Carnot efficiency, driving an alternator that can absorb that power. Rectify that, then feed it through a computer-controlled variable-frequency drive that converts it back into precisely controlled AC that works seamlessly with traction control to prevent wheelspin. 3 of them can replace 5 4400 horespower DC locomotives.

Now THAT is a combination of electrical and mechanical engineering!

Reply to
Steve

Can you scale that down to a car for me to drive?

Joe Fischer

Reply to
Joe Fischer

Already done - One example is the Toyota Prius. It uses a petrol engine using a Rankin cycle (better efficiency than a standard engine) running at basically constant RPM at optimal efficiency point when on. The energy of the engine is used to drive the wheels via an ingenious system of differentials and electronically controlled motor-generators. Toyota call it 'Hybrid Synergy Drive' - have a look at the Wikipedia, there is some good info on how it all works there.

Calvin (Brisbane Australia)

PS: I don't own one, but would love to when the price drops a bit more.

Reply to
Calvin