2008 Highlander

Toyota calls it a 4X4, but I think it is AWD.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" ...

Here is what The July 9 issue of AutoWeek says, and you can conclude from there: "The optional full-time four-wheel drive on the gasoline-powered Highlander is the same system as that on the Sienna minivan. ?It?s not a rock crawler by any means,? said Toyota general manager Don Carter. But a mile or so of driving through a sandy desert wash showed the Highlander could get over rough terrain easily enough.

Four-wheel drive on the hybrid consists of a rear electric motor engaging under acceleration or when the front wheels slip."

this helps, Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Hope this helps,

Full-time four wheel drive is commonly referred to as all wheel drive. BTW, I believe Toyota's general manager is Bob Carter (I used to work with his brother).

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" com...

> Hope this helps,

I don't know, I have always thought of them as 2 different animals. AWD drive being the situation where it drives off of only one wheel, choosing out of the 4, and 4WD being where it is driving off of the 2 axles at the same time, either with a slip or noslip. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Since my 02 is getting older and I sure as hell ain't going the other way either, I've been following the 08 with some interest.

Yes, AWD is option in all three. What ticks me off is that all models (so far at least) only come with three seats.

I told the local dealer I want one (Limited AWD) when he gets one but I'd skip them if he tried to retire off me. As I bought our Avalon (from the same group - Lithia) in 05 in Oregon, maybe he paid attention.

From photos, the limited looks very similar to the interior of our Avalon with same engine.

Ron in Ca

Reply to
ron

When several vehicles are both built off the same basic chassis, one can reasonably assume they have the same drive train.

mike

> Hope this helps,

Reply to
Mike Hunter

>> Hope this helps,>>> Tomes

"Full time four wheel drive" sounds more rugged than "all wheel drive" so the former is often used to describe the system in SUV's. When driving all

4 wheels on dry pavement, a center differential is used to split the power between the front and rear axles intead of a transfer case. A center differential can vary the amount of power transmitted to the front and rear axles, while a transfer case splits the power evenly. The transfer case's even power split can cause premature tire wear and drivetrain binding on dry pavement so it is not practical in permanent 4WD applications but they tend to be more ruggedly built than center differentials. There are many variations of the AWD theme, like center differentials that lock or have viscous couplings, but they all allow variation between the front and rear axles.
Reply to
Ray O